Sunflower seeds in shells

• 4 Replies

brick22

Sunflower seeds in shells
« on: June 07, 2011, 16:18 »
Hiya

Is it OK to give sunflower seeds that are still in their shell or should it just be the hearts. I put some down for my girls but they just turned their beaks up at them, I shelled a few & they loved them.

Please don't tell me I have to shell them all, I'll be out there for weeks!!  :D
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Sunflower seeds in shells
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 16:22 »
I usually give mine the hearts but at the weekend was given some black sunflower seeds. The reception to these is pretty mixed and I have found not all the hens like them  :(. Perhaps they are an aquired taste  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

brick22

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 16:33 »
mmmmm, think you could be right there, so glad I just bought a 3.5 kilo bag  :wacko:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:08 »
They are capable of eating the whole seed rather than just the kernel, but it took mine a while to realise that the whole ones were edible. 

I bought a 1kg bag of whole seeds and was disappointed that the girls showed no interest in them.  So one sunny afternoon I sat out with them and cracked a few open in front of them so they associated the yummy kernel with the whole seed.  Now they happily eat the whole seeds.

PhilDotte

• Ruskin Miniature Lops (rabbits)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 17:15 »
There are black sunflower seeds in the mixed corn that I buy and all then hens love them.  I've started mixing in a little bit of the mixed corn with the chick crumbs for the youngsters and its the black sunflower seeds they pick out first to eat.

:)
4 Ex Batts (Sophia, Dorothy, Blanche & Rose) 1 SLW Bantam  (Lacey) 1 GLW Bantam (Harriet) 2 Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams 2 Silkies & 1 Cream Legbar. 3 Pugs (1 Black & 2 Silver Fawns) I breed and show rabbits of which I have about 80 and judge in the UK and Internationally

xx
sunflower seeds

Started by ACatCalledElvis on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 23:28
by Fat Hen
xx
sunflower seeds

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 16:10
by beulah59
xx
sunflower seeds

Started by dennis on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 16:24
by dennis
xx
sunflower seeds?

Started by staffschicks on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 08:38
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 35 queries.