best laying hens?

• 20 Replies

hillfooter

Re: best laying hens?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 15:05 »
Pretty much most hybrids will do a good job laying and it is probably best to get a known official strain.  Virtually all the hens you mention here are hybrids and strictly shouldn't be called breeds as only pure breeds are breeds.  Hybrids are created at each generation from breeder stock and the genetic make up is strictly controlled and zealously guarded by the breeder.  

You can't breed your own from parent hybrid birds for one thing there's no such bird as a White Star (or Black Rock) Cock.  If you attempt to breed from hybrids the offspring aren't sure to inherit their parents looks or performance.  It's like mating two mongrel dogs the offspring could show any mix of characteristics of the purebreeds whose genes are in the parents.   When buying hybrids its best to get a known official strain and not a cross the local breeder calls a black rock or whatever.  That way you can be sure the laying characteristics will be good as well as the looks being right.

The brown hens you mention are typical commercial layers and aren't bred for looks just their egg production.  These days because of the popularity of back garden poultry keeping many breeders produce first crosses (often classed as hybrids) for improved looks and reasonable egg production.  They will give them a fancy name but I doubt their genetic make up is well controlled.  Usually commercial layers are just named after the breeder and given a genetic reference number rather than being given a fancy name.

So my advice is if looks aren't important go for a cheep hybrid layer.

HF
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 19:05 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 18:41 »
we have all different sizes housed together.

We have a Huge Blue Orpington (Bouncing Betty) we have Blackrocks, copper black maran, columbine (blue egg laying hybrid), we also have a couple of tiny Polands, a Banty Australorp, a Banty barnevelder (this is the hed Hen BTW hehe) they all get on very well together.

The Columbine's are very good layers, Posie lays 6 eggs a week, then takes a day off, Her Eggs are kinda light olive green colour. also columbines can lay anything from a pastel blue to a Khaki colour.

uktitan

I was reading about Columbines the other day and thought they looked and sounded great but then it said they weren't really suitable for a beginner!   Whats your experience.  I will try and find the bit i was reading and post the quote
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 19:00 »
here it is

Quote:
It is a nervy bird, even when well settled in its environment, so we do not recommend this hen as a first time chicken. It is, however, a very rewarding and exciting hen and well worth the wait to get some chicken keeping experience under your belt.

uktitan

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 21:19 »
We find them great birds and highly recommend them, I would recommend you get them from a reputable breeder though.*IF* you get them, get them in a pair or more they like to have a friend that they know. Apart from that, they are no more flighty or difficult than any other breed, I think it depends more on the individual Hen more then the Breed. they are very good hens, quite hardy and funny. I haven't found them to be nervy at all, Like i said I think Being flighty of nervy is more down to the Individual Hen rather than the breed. We have had hens in the past that were Supposed to be very placid and friendly and were actually totally the opposite.. So one can never tell :) but its a lot of fun getting them and finding out hehe
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

Totty

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 22:28 »
Along with our two white stars (who lay LOTS of eggs) we have...a jersey giant, a gold laced orpington, a huge blue orpington, a tiny english game hen bantam and the head honcho is a little black silkie bantam! They get on fine though and variety is the spice of life!

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 09:21 »
We have black rock crosses, white sussex, bluebelles, crested (blue eggs) warren type and a couple of other crosses, all are pretty good layers.   

xx
Hens not laying

Started by Pavlodge on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 09:01
by Springlands
xx
one of my hens not laying

Started by puffinstuff on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 09:42
by carolbriar
xx
New hens not laying yet!!

Started by stoko on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 17:13
by treacleminer
xx
hens not laying

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 08:35
by Sassy

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 33 queries.