The great slug massacre!

• 8 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
The great slug massacre!
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:41 »
we have been having problems with slugs coming into our kitchen at night and leaving slime trails everywhere.
So last night I decided it was time to kick off ! I was going to kill every man woman and child slug in the garden. !!!
so I baited the patio next to the man hole with layers pellets and waited till 3am when I belive is slug dinner time. then a ran outside in my pants with a tub of salt and dissolved my slimey foe forever ha ha ha ha it felt great. Then washed them all down the man hole before letting the hens out this morning.
wolverine 1
slugs 0
ha ha ha ha
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: The great slug massacre!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:45 »
Why aren't your chickens eating them? And are you licenced to run around outside dressed like that at 3 am? :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:09 »
Wolverine, you are barking and a bit of a worry at times, but that is a very funny post   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You'll have to do it all again in a week or 2 though when all the slug eggs hatch  ;)  :lol:

PhilDotte

• Ruskin Miniature Lops (rabbits)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:41 »
I like to go round turning all the slug hideaways upside down and showing the girls where they all live.  It doesnt take long before the hens workout where the tasty lunch morsels hide. I havent slipped on a slug for ages, and you want to see them when they get hold of a snail ;-)

4 Ex Batts (Sophia, Dorothy, Blanche & Rose) 1 SLW Bantam  (Lacey) 1 GLW Bantam (Harriet) 2 Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams 2 Silkies & 1 Cream Legbar. 3 Pugs (1 Black & 2 Silver Fawns) I breed and show rabbits of which I have about 80 and judge in the UK and Internationally

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:11 »
My chickens ate slugs and snails when I first got them, but at the moment they won't touch them - and they won't even eat earth worms!   :blink:  It's all a bit puzzling and I wonder if it's a seasonal thing.  It's winter here so I wonder if there is some kind of seasonal change in the slugs that makes them less palatable, or a seasonal change in the chickens that means they don't crave them the same.

The chickens will still eat the slugs' eggs though, so I'm glad of that.

I look forward to the chickens' slug-appetites returning in spring.  At least I hope they will!  ::)

Beano

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:20 »
My chickens will eat snails, they are quite fond of the crunchy shell.
As for slugs, they will only eat them if they happen to be on a lettuce leaf or strawberries that I'll throw to them. One of the chickens screams and dances around like a scared girlie if I throw in a very large slug.
Now woodlice on the other hand get demolished pretty quickly.
El.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 15:03 »
Ours don't eat snails even if we squish them.  We end up collecting them up when poo picking!!!  :(

Maybe we should have got a French breed of hen.   :wacko:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 15:05 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 16:58 »
We've just started using beer traps, and boy do they work. Can't give them to the ducklings though, don't want drunken ducks :D
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

evie2

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 21:12 »
That's a good name for a pub, The Drunken Duck ::) :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
A great retirement..

Started by sneezer on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 22:31
by ANHBUC
xx
The great escape!

Started by Andrew4613 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post December 28, 2011, 11:49
by LittleRedHen
xx
The great escapee.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 17:15
by ANHBUC
xx
The Great British Breakfast!

Started by hillfooter on Chicken Chat

27 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 22:30
by pigeonpie

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 40 queries.