I'm gonna test myself and the missus

• 7 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
I'm gonna test myself and the missus
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:39 »
People keep saying how eggs from our hens taste better and differant and " how eggs used to taste  when we were kids "
and as much as I like our eggs Im not convinced there is a massive differance.
I've not bought eggs from th shop for a long time but I do eat breakfast in the weatherspoons most Saturday mornings and never notice a differance in the taste of the eggs.
Apperance wise there is no contest my yolks are amazing deep colours and fresh egg White is totally differant texture but taste?
anyway my plan is to buy
 6 free range eggs from the shop
6 battery farmed eggs ( goes against everything I belive in but purely for the experiment )
and 6 of my own eggs
and get my mate to poach them why I don't watch and see how I do when it comes to guessing the origin of each egg   
I am in no way confident I will be able to do this. and would like to test other people and see what results I get. How confident would you be ? it's gonna be interesting
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

bantam novice

Re: I'm gonna test myself and the missus
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:44 »
I like the set-up of your experiment.  It will be interesting to see the results.  Do you think you or your missus will be more accurate in identification?  :)
Keep us posted.  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:49 »
I don't think she will be able to tell I think she fits into the category of people who prefer our eggs because she knows where they come from rather than superior taste
which might I add is fine and I feel that is a category I fit in quite happily

is there anything I can give my hens to really make there eggs taste great ? They eat a bag of frozen brocolli a week already and sweet corn and  meal worms aswell as thier layers pellets
i really hope we can tell  :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:54 by wolverine »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 18:26 »
Good luck with your experiment.  I can't tell the difference since we got our hens but we did get free range from a known source.  Just nice to know how fresh your own are.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 19:26 »
you need to be blindfolded too or the colour could give you a clue

Will be interested to see the results!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 20:54 »
I know I've said this before, but my customer in the village has 3 little girls, they will not eat anyone else's eggs but ours, but it's their youngest that always amazes me.  She is 5.  She not only won't eat anyone else's eggs, she can tell which ones are mine and which ones are someone else's, whether they are in the shell or on her plate!

Once they went to their friends in essex who also have their own hens.  The friend cooked the breakfast and put 3 plates on the table for the girls.  Little one looked at the plate in front of her and said I'm not eating that!  Why not said the friend.  It's not one of grannieannie's eggs!  No, but its one of mine from the garden!  Don't care she said, it doesn't taste the same!

And now their dog has started!  Another friend gave their dog and egg for its breakfast and it ignored it.  Now Storm loves an egg for a special breakfast.  Sam said to him which egg did you use?  One of mine he said.  OK, give him one of ours.  so he cooked the egg and Storm wolfed it down! lol

Now the 5 year old has started on turkeys!  They are staying with their Essex friends this weekend who killed their last turkey for their Easter dinner.  Little one said to her Mum, I'm not eating it!  Why not?  Because it won't taste like grannie's!  So I gave her one of our turkeys breasts to take with her so they could compare tastes!!  :lol: :lol:

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 10:15 »
I got the battery eggs thankfully didn't have to buy them. I have a friend who eats battery eggs and he gave me 3

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 13:51 »
Will be very interesting to see your results Wolverine.  :tongue2:
Alan

xx
Test your knowledge, Boy or Girl??

Started by PaulineM on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 09:04
by grenhouse

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 38 queries.