Anyone seen this?

• 35 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Anyone seen this?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 15:02 »
...but I prefer wood, it's easy and cheap to repair...

Much like my grandfather's tobacco pipe which lasted him 20 years. It had 5 new bowls and 7 new stems  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 15:04 by Aunt Sally »

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 18:03 »
 :tongue2: As the owner of an eglu I have to agree with Auntie and Grannie when they say that an Eglu is a great product and very easy to look after.  

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 22:07 »
there is nothing wrong with eglus they are very easy to clean and maintain, easier to get rid of redmite and should you decide to stop keeping chickens or expand they have a very high resale value. They are not the most expensive coops and will last a lot longer than some cheap ebay coops.

:tongue2: As the owner of an eglu I have to agree with Auntie and Grannie when they say that an Eglu is a great product and very easy to look after. 

I think it was me rather than Grannie Annie who said it along with Aunt Sally Tigerwren. I like you love my eglu (a pretty blue one) and for the record Vecten I also have 8 wooden coops but the eglu wins hands down  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 22:18 »
And although I didn't say it, AND I was one of the 'prefer wood over plastic' brigade, when I borrowed Joy's eglu, I was converted.  It will last forever, and is very easy to clean out and keep clean.  I had thought they were tiny, but my 3 silkies lived in it quite happily.

Brian didn't like it though!   :lol: :lol:

joyfull

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 22:20 »
The problem for Brian is that he likes to have hundreds of birds and they all won't fit into an eglu  :lol: :lol:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 22:22 »
Mmmmmmm true!   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  Especially as he has just bought another 32!  but that's another story!  :lol:

joyfull

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 22:25 »
he would need 10 eglus for those (or 4 eglu cubes) very expensive  :lol: but they would last for many many years - easy to clean and to get rid of redmite all you have to do is wash and go  :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 22:27 »
If I only had a few chickens just for me, I'd get a purple eglu cube for 6 chickens, but with a larger run or free range if I had enough room!  Being higher up, I wouldn't have to bend right down to get the poo tray out!

Me bones are getting old and achey!!!   :D :D

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 23:44 »
Eglu owner here too.  I think my Eglu will last forever. It's as good as the day I got it

hillfooter

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 12:29 »
Basically what that means is that unless your lease specifically says otherwise you have a right to keep hens on your property.

I thought it meant that a lease or covenant CANNOT prevent you keeping chickens and rabbits for personal consumption?
That what I'd been told, its  abit legalsie for me though.

I think Dominic is correct here.  The "Notwithstanding" means "despite or "in spite of", so the right to keep hens (or rabbits) has precedence unless of course there is a public health issue which is the usual objection raised to chicken keeping (ie vermin, nuisance or noise usually).

"The term notwithstanding is used as a preposition in drafting contracts to indicate that the substantive provision that follows is to apply in spite of, without regard to, limited by, or prevented from operation by some other provision." ref http://www.gillhams.com/dictionary/431.cfm

I'm not sure what Vecten is quoting here but it would appear that you have a right under civil law which contract law can't take away assuming Vecten's quote is civil law.  Probably you'd need a legal opinion as I'm just a layman.

HF
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 13:02 »
Oh dear Vecten you've stirred up the Eglu bigots  zealots we'll not have any sensible discussion now on any topic until they've all paid homage to their plastic palaces.  :D

It's still a bit eccentric to want to put chickens in plastic houses so it's like making a comment about Skoda cars 20 years ago it immediately drew a host of indignant responses from Skoda owners with chips on their shoulders.  Probably in a few years time when everyone is used to plastic chx houses they will no longer feel the need to vermently defend their choice as logical and that they are not at all fruit cakes! :lol: :lol:

Plastic is fine in the right design in the right environment but it's still not mainstream and asthetically not to everyones taste.

HF
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 19:09 by hillfooter »

hillfooter

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 13:10 »
This is a really poor report notwithstanding the nice video of the chickens done up for the cameras in their Sunday best.  

No background to the story no mention of the little known law which we're none the wiser of.  In short fully meeting my expectations of a video news story.  Anyone know where I can find more details of the story and what law was used to win her case? :)
Thanks
HF
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 18:20 by hillfooter »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 17:00 »
Oh dear Vecten you've stirred up the Eglu bigots we'll not have any sensible discussion now on any topic until they've all paid homage to their plastic palaces.  :D

I hope you are going to retract calling me and other eglu owners "bigots" (a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own).  We may be enthusiasts but we are not bigots.

Site policy states that you may disagree with the topic but you may not call other members by derogatory names.  Members who do are not welcome here.  >:(

hillfooter

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 18:16 »
Oh dear Vecten you've stirred up the Eglu bigots we'll not have any sensible discussion now on any topic until they've all paid homage to their plastic palaces.  :D

I hope you are going to retract calling me and other eglu owners "bigots" (a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own).  We may be enthusiasts but we are not bigots.

Site policy states that you may disagree with the topic but you may not call other members by derogatory names.  Members who do are not welcome here.  >:(

Oh Dear I wasn't intending it in a derogatory way but if I've offended any of you eglu enthusiasts I apologise.
HF

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 18:19 »
I think if you read Hillfooters comment without an eglu defensive stance engaged you would see he was only making a little joke that didn't need such a reaction. Speaking for myself as a regular user of this forum for advice as I learn the art of chicken keeping I would miss HF's contributions.
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 37 queries.