stolen chickens in somerset nr yeovil

• 39 Replies

animal mad

• Experienced Member
Re: stolen chickens in somerset nr yeovil
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 21:38 »
Thanks for all your help, we had geese in the field but that didnt stop them, at least they werent taken as well. we are trying to look for a field to buy and a house close by so w can keep an eye on it but this is very difficult, at the moment i have a couple of pairs in the back garden till i can work out something

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 11:05 »
If there is anything you need, I got a spare Rentco fence if you're interested? And a drinker, and a galvanised feeder, just shout.  Plus, a tip if your gate is metal into the field?? Insulate it and slap a 24 volt lorry battery to it! I know its not legal but I was told that by a copper a while back when we had tack/rug and horse theives on the prowl. We did hear one "Oh s***!" one night and a car sped off, as its a layby we couldn't decide if it was a genuine attempt or someone just wanting to water the verge!?! (evil grin)

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 13:36 »
that would be brilliant wild pony. my only question would be do you attach an enrgiser to the gate as well so it acts like an electric fence? i am not very up on these things. they cut the padlock so i am not even sure if they would have touched the gate, so would this still help.
what is a rentco fence, is that electric? sorry to sound stupid, any sort of fence would be a great help, at least i can start rebuilding.i have a few chicks hatching at home if you would be interested in a swop.

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 18:43 »
Gotta do my radio show hon, so look out for a proper reply after 9pm tonight

joshbuchan

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 19:17 »
oh no thats discusting!! i say more lighting and more electric!!! that will stop the b*****ds from coming back, this has acturly worried me, i need to get the elecitic set up now, got the armer cabble dug in, just not wired up. then i need more flood lights!! oh and my dad has 2 fork lift battries :tongue2: i am going to be a bissy bunny now! thanks for the warning!!!

are u ok tho?? cuz god dam, i would be fyumin if all my chickens got robbed!! do u want some blue silkie eggs?? free!! i also have some pure blue chicks n some mixed blue n gold u r more than happy to take a cupple from. :)

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 21:31 »
A Rentco(Hotline) fence is a mesh that carries an electric current and is a flexible way of doing a ring fence, just need a horse type fencer unit (they do solar charging units now) and a leisure battery (they cope better with being re charged often, car ones don't). As for the gate, insulate it from its hangings and slam post and hang a 24v lorry battery to it, somewhere discreet and wait for the swearing.........probably yourselves when you forgot you did it, lololol I am assuming the gate is metal though, it doesn't work on wood ones.

As a note, we got foxed today....lost 21 ex batts while I was sleeping after my night shift, a daylight strike, and I'm gutted

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 22:01 »
wild pony the fencer sounds amazing do you want to do a swop for some chicks, i am not sure what type of chickens you like, the only hatching eggs i have left is a flock of bantam wellsummers they are in a totally different area so i could so some hatching eggs as well  or chicks to replace your layers that you have lost as they lay really good size eggs for a bantam. i cant believe how lovely you all are, it has really given me back faith in people. 
my husbnd is very interested in your suggestion for the gate so i guess we will be setting it up later this week.

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 23:01 »
No you're good just mail me with your postal address, you can find my email in the list of members.
So you need the fence and the feeder&drinker....correct?

Good luck, but be warned the gate thing is not legal, but you have to protect your stock. Will serve 'em right.

I'll find your mail tomorrow now as the duvet sharer is plotting against foxy.

animartco

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 20:23 »
does anyone know if guinea fowl would send out a warning cry at night if disturbed, i am trying to think about what i can do to slow them down next time.
Hi, I'm new to this site. I hope I'm doing it right. I have had guineas. They do shout at night, but mostly at foxes. I wouldn't say they are very reliable for human intruders. Geese would be better I think, or would it be possible to kennel a dog or two close to the site? 

greenun

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 23:13 »
Just to get this right wild pony regarding the fence. Do you wire one battery terminal to the gate and the other to earth?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 23:14 »
As this is illegal please can we not continue this line of conversation on this forum, thanks  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 09:41 »
i thought i was legal as long as you have warning saying that it is eletric fencing enter at your own risk????, i have to have notice up regarding my dogs enter at your own risk the dogs will attack, ( was told by a copper, he also said about wire going along the top of my fenceing, also put warnings up)..
zoe pattinson :)

joyfull

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 09:47 »
not when the electrified gate with a discreetly hidden battery is at the side of a road or footpath. Electric fencing is legal with like you say notices put up to warn.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 13:15 »
i must have done something really bad because i have now had a fox attack on a broody coop, my silkie and 4 10 week old chicks are gone. they were in an electric fence and they have somehow got in and ripped the coop apart, i have managed to find 3 chicks which is something. i didnt think my lick could get any worse.

joyfull

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 13:17 »
Oh No!! was your electric fencing working properly?

xx
Anyone near Somerset/Dorset that can Pinion????

Started by Nails on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 16:08
by Nails
xx
stolen chooks

Started by goodegg on Chicken Chat

41 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 19:28
by goodegg
xx
it has happened again another bird stolen

Started by animal mad on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 22:43
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Warning, birds are being stolen again.

Started by joyfull on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 18:57
by asd1

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 37 queries.