so how many you got?

• 36 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: so how many you got?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 14:51 »
I think you have to get yourself in the right mind set.  I was helped by having a male quail that repeatedly attacked the females leaving their heads bald and blooming (scalped).  They recovered but I tried putting him in solitary for a while and he did not learn his lesson.  Not enjoyable to have to cull something but it did make it easier for my first time.  I researched loads and didn't have any problems with a small quail. 

Then I had to cull some bantam cockerels so used the broom shank method as I would not like the thought of not being strong enough to do the deed efficiently by hand.  Then I hatched some turkeys last year, kept two of them and invested in a wall mounted dispatcher.  I still use the broom shank sometimes as I find it quite easy.  It is never a pleasant thing to do but I respect my birds and they may have a short life but it is a happy one.   ;)

I had to cull a day old quail chick this morning which had a deformed neck and could not feed or drink.  Thanks to reading advice on here from Grannie Annie and joyfull it was quick and painless for the chick.  I think that is the hardest I have found it but I would not have liked it to die slowly from starvation.

My family couldn't believe that I would be able to do it as I am such a softie but with the practicalities of raising and keeping birds I had to have a bit of a needs must attitude. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 16:02 »
hats off to you! I am now intrigued though and off to research the broom shank method!

Ive been taking my poorly hens to a neighbour who has been brought up that way in the country and raises her own birds/rabbits etc to feed her family!

ANHBUC

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 16:09 »
She would be the ideal person to learn from. 

Sparkyrog

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 16:15 »
It is a knack that needs to be learnt if you keep birds ! by hand is fine for chicken or smaller ,but I would not recommend the hand method for anything else .Chicken and rabbits yes ! But not ducks turkeys or geesethen you need the broom  !
I cook therefore I grow

Mrs Bee

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 18:33 »
1 cream legbar, 2 Bovans White, 1 bovans Amber, 1 Goldline, 1 white Sussex, 1 bluebell,  and 3 Black rocks,
11 in total.

Just waiting to win the lottery so we can buy a small holding and have lots and lots of chickens. And Alpacas and a pig.

But until then just 11.

I can only count 10 there!   :unsure:

Oh no, I  forgot Squeaky :ohmy: .... we have 4 black rocks. How could I forget my little escape artist :ohmy:

Edited to put reply outside of quote
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 19:58 by ANHBUC »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 18:42 »
The lady I buy my POL birds showed me how to do the broom method. OH hid in the car ::) ::)

Luckily I haven't had to do it yet, but feel quite able to do it if I need to.

OH will probably go and hide on the allotment :nowink: 'Cos it will be me that will do it.

ANHBUC

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 20:00 »
The lady I buy my POL birds showed me how to do the broom method. OH hid in the car ::) ::)

Luckily I haven't had to do it yet, but feel quite able to do it if I need to.

OH will probably go and hide on the allotment :nowink: 'Cos it will be me that will do it.

I would recommend laying a bin liner on the floor and wearing wellingtons as it can sometimes be a bit messy especially if you apply too much force.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 21:57 »
Thanks for that tip ANHBUC.  :)
I wouldn't have thought to do that.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 22:01 »
I would also recommend cutting a corner off a sack and putting head  neck through that , so body is contained  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 22:08 »
I wouldn't have thought of doing that either. Thanks Sparky.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 22:12 »
although it is only a nervous reaction when culling Geese or Turkeys the wings can deliver a fair blow ,and bruise both themselves and you . If contained this problem does not arise

ANHBUC

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 23:40 »
I used a towel held with sports bandage round it when I culled my 2 turkeys as their wings were huge.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 08:43 »
Its also important to remember NO FOOD for at least 12 hrs before dispatch so there system is empty !

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 10:49 »
OMG reading the later comments maybe im not ready yet!!!

The neighbour down the road says she does it with a knife??? recommended or not??

Prod

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 15:53 »
I have: A Welsummer Cockerel, a welsummer, ancona, bluebelle, cream legbar, Columbian blacktail, copper marans, a pair of Buff Orpingtons, and  broody hybrid. Growing on I have a huge white hybrid, 2 exchequer longhorns, 3 cream legbars, 3 Cotswold legbars and a pair of Nankins.  I also have 2 runner ducks, 3 call ducks and 8 call ducklings.  I lost my lovely little bantam Cuckoo Orpington this morning :(

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.