Learning fast

• 5 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Learning fast
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:40 »
I have come the the conclusion that seed trays are pretty useless for the veg gardener. They are not very deep and the seedlings get so crowded very early on I have spent the past 2 hours transferring them into 4 inch pots to give them more room. I think next year I will plant all my seeds into large pots at the start.

Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Allotment Jon

Re: Learning fast
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 13:17 »
My local Focus DIY gives away the trays that the pot plants are delivered to them in.

They are available in several sizes but do take up room compared to the smaller trays.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 20:16 »
Ah it takes skill to sow thinly in seed trays and skill to prick out. Depends what you are sowing of course. Things like marrows, courgettes, patty pan squash all go one seed to a pot edgeways on so no need for trays.

Now sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, lettuce (if not done straight into ground) and all those other small seeds like parsley all need light fingers for spreading thinly. Don't ask me to be light fingered but I manage to prick out without too much trouble. It's a case of learning the knack. Took me a year of experience but it comes.

If your trays are overcrowded you could be doing a Christine and planting too many seeds.  ::)

The other thing is to have the pots ready for pricking out into and knowing the tool to use to prick out with. I use a teaspoon with a long handle and do two or three seedlings at a time with brassicas. I do peas in trays but it's easier to use guttering (I inherited some on the plot). I grew my broad beans in seed trays and they are looking fine on the plot.

Methinks that it's sometimes experience that comes with practice that helps you with seed trays.  :lol:

But then I have been there, done that and made some mistakes, learned from others by watching and given up on peat pots which don't work for me but do for others. Some people swear by modules or root trainers (good for beans I would say). Can be expensive though whereas good quality seed trays are not.

It takes a couple of years to find out what works for you.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 21:00 »
I have moved away from seed trays, except if I want lost of seedlings, or use half for one seed and half for another. I now use any small container I can, mushroom trays, fruit containers (the ones holding 1/2 doz plums etc which I get from friends. That way I don't get over excited and sow too many  :D
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 22:14 »
I find seed trays too shallow for many things so I use supermarket mushroom/meat trays with drain holes pushed through. I also sow direct into small pots for most larger seeds.

Becci W

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 20:03 »
I'm having a go with seed trays this year rather than lots of pots all at once. I'm getting good results so far, although it does get a bit tedious potting them on! I'm also enjoying the results from the poly boxes!

xx
Learning by my mistakes, any other advice?

Started by Bowen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 17:10
by JayG
xx
Learner still learning couple of questions

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 14:30
by stompy
xx
Leggy brassicas, learning the hard way!!

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 20:26
by Judd
xx
Learning lessons already, Oinion rot and bolting spinach

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 12:06
by Aidy

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 32 queries.