manure

• 10 Replies

adamgrow owt

manure
« on: October 30, 2011, 13:36 »
hi new to the group,any one got an idea of which manure best for veg and when best to apply ,cheers.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: manure
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 13:46 »
Hi Adam and welcome to the forums.

Have moved your post to "Grow Your Own" which is where veg-growing questions are usually dealt with.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 15:19 »
All manure is OK for veg. Don't apply it when it is fresh - wait until it's rotted down.  And don't apply it where you plan to grow carrots or parsnips (unless you want to win the most-odd-shape-and-hardest-to-peel contest .... ! )

Some people apply it in the autumn, others dig it in in spring.  I don't think either is wrong.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 16:25 »
As for when to apply manure, it sometimes has to do with when it's more convenient for the grower to apply manure. While others, like myself, use a fresher manure in fall and leave it overwinter to age and be ready by spring.

Here's more info on the different types of manure:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/fertilizer/farmyard-animal-manures.php

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 18:08 »
Rather than make a new thread........

I have 18 bin bags of fresh manure and straw.  After doing the bean test should I just spread it over beds and leave it?  Can the beds be covered in say a month or so?

Thanks
I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 18:27 »
Spread it and let the worms take some of it down. Did it in when you prepare the beds in Spring..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 20:16 »
Wavertree, you can spread the fresh stuff now but be aware that you shouldn't plant any overwintering crops in it, or they'll just burn and die.

Benandbill

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 06:40 »
Hi adamgrow owt, I was told that cows' dung is preferable to horses' dung because horses don't digest their food properly so you find all sorts of weeds and oats and stuff growing on your plot that you didn't want.  I applied mine for the 1st time just over a week ago so I'll tell you what my results were come summer time.

Since spreading mine though, someone's told me horse dung is actually better but you have to let it rot down for a year or two to get the best out of it.  Everybody tells you different things don't they!   :unsure:

gavinjconway

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 09:13 »
As long as it is manure it will work... I'ts all in the name..  Just let it sit on top or in a compsot heap to rot down before using.. :D

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 15:18 »
Spread it and let the worms take some of it down. Did it in when you prepare the beds in Spring..

This is what I'm about to do, got a mate that has horses and we've just been and collected the second trailer load (camping trailer, so about a cubic metre) and am currently heaping it until I find out what's best to do with it as it's fresh.

I was planning to spread it where the tatties are going next year first but wasnt sure whether I should dig the soil to loosen it then spread the manure or can I simply spread the manure hoping the worms will do all the work for me?

gavinjconway

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 16:51 »
I would dig it in if you can for the Tatties so it can break down before they go in.

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.