celery

• 4 Replies

Grubbypaws

celery
« on: September 11, 2023, 10:03 »
This is my first year growing celery. Initially I thought it a waste of time as the plants looked so feeble but they have thrived and are a constant supply of cut and come again stalks as and when we need one.

As the year is now getting on we are harvesting, blanching and freezing. I dont envisage buying celery ever again. If you haven't grown celery before I really recommend it. The variety I have grown is Victoria F1. It is self blanching, quick growing with a very good flavour. It also can be grown in places that you may have thought are too dry.

Kleftiwallah

Re: celery
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 11:37 »
  Good morning Grubbypaws,
the reason you have a belly button is to store the salt when you eat celery in bed!

Oldies but goldies...   Cheers,  Tony. :nowink:
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

cc

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 16:05 »
This is my first year growing celery. Initially I thought it a waste of time as the plants looked so feeble but they have thrived and are a constant supply of cut and come again stalks as and when we need one.

As the year is now getting on we are harvesting, blanching and freezing. I dont envisage buying celery ever again. If you haven't grown celery before I really recommend it. The variety I have grown is Victoria F1. It is self blanching, quick growing with a very good flavour. It also can be grown in places that you may have thought are too dry.
I reckon 3 plants are more than enough for one person just removing a couple stalks as needed.
But will a plant go through the whole season?
I tend to be a little late getting started on celery.

wighty

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 16:18 »
The Forbidden Plant as it is known in our house.  Neither daughter would ever eat it but it was sneaked in and 'disguised'.  Interesting to know that you can grow it as a 'cut and come again veg'.  I always have a bag of it sliced in the freezer but we both like it 'fresh' in a salad.  Might convince me to try  a plant or two next year.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 07:55 »
I detest raw celery, it's the devil's vegetable. But cooked in a sofrito etc it's great, a real overall flavour booster.

I've grown tall utaha and victoria f1 as well, and the f1 is night and day better imo. I normally prefer growing open pollinated veg, but that is one I would really recommend getting. Bit like how great sungold f1 tomatoes are, or how much better f1 brussels sprouts are.

If you have greenhouse, you can dig it up and grow it through winter inside, either in the border or a pot. They can take a fair amount of frost. When I've left mine outside the deer eat them

xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow
xx
celery

Started by ray_thornhill on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 08:31
by David.
xx
celery

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 22, 2023, 12:05
by rowlandwells
xx
Celery help please

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 10:06
by Stratts

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 33 queries.