Poultry and Pets > Poultry FAQs and other Information

Droppings - The Chicken Keeper's Guide

(1/33) > >>

Aunt Sally:
Below are pictures of Chicken Droppings kindly donated by our members (the pictures not the poo).

Normal

Picture taken by Catsmuvva

These last three pictures have shed intestinal lining in them - quite normal, not a cause for concern.

Coral coloured Urates

These are frequently deposited overnight and are quite normal

Oily and Foamy

The range of "Normal" is huge  :shock:

Ceacal

These are produced from the caecum of the chicken and are mustard to dark brown froth. They are expelled every 8 to 10 droppings.

Fly Maggots

(picture curtesy of Vember)

Flies will lay their eggs on moist chicken droppings and in warm weather they will very quickly hatch into small maggots.

Watery

Watery droppings can be produced by hens which are too hot.  It can be a way for them to cool down by drinking a lot and losing some of their heat in frequent wet droppings.  It can also be a sign that the hens are not eating enough too.

Abnormal poos

Coccidiosis produces blood in faeces.

Above is from a chicken suffering with Clostridium perfringens.
see: 4. Poo - The Chicken Keeper's Guide in Poultry FAQs and other Information - Page 9 of 11

The hen who produced this specimen was an older bird who became very thirsty.
She is producing a large amount of watery urates the cause of which is unknown, but could possibly be a kidney problem.

The hen who produced this specimen was about 25 weeks old. She went off her food and ate so little she became underweight. She held her tail down and was tired. She may have had worms and/or egg peritonitis.

Worms

picture taken by smiler43                                                      picture taken by Lindeggs

Tape Worm 

Broody Droppings

Thanks to ANHBUC for this picture

Broody's droppings are huge and very smelly !

Sulphur yellow, foamy dropping can bea sign of Blackhead (Histamonosis) which is caused by a protozoan parasite infecting the gut.  It is however rare in back yard hens !

This picture was taken after 2 days treatment with flubenvet.  The worms are probably Ascaridia galli, they don't cause much harm to the birds unless they are present in large numbers.  It is not unkown for them to enter the reproductive tract from the digestive tract via the vent and be found inside an egg  :shock:

Please feel free to comment on these pictures and post any you may want to know about or think would be good to add to this album.

babe:
woo hoo aunty, queen of poop's  :D

an odd but super helpful selection of photo's.

im sure this will help prevent alot of panic for us chicken huggers  :D

thanky yooooo

Wildeone:
perfect!

shaun:
i'm stuck for words  :roll:

Brambles:
Thank you, thank you, thank you Aunt Sally...  Not had much of a problem yet in the 5 years that I have had chooks...  but the pics have helped me sort out a few queries that I have had over the time...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version