What am I supposed to watch on the TV?

• 54 Replies

Growster...

Re: What am I supposed to watch on the TV?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 09:54 »
We have a similar piece of kit to a Firestick - a Chromecast plug-in, which does something similar via our iPads!

As long as the signal stays awake, we often watch old faves like 'Not the nine o'clock news', and if I'm in there by myself, a damned good live concert by 'Pink Floyd', or 'Yes' - all via YouTube!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 19:59 »
Stardate Saturday night - BBC1 happened to be on while I cleaned out the aquarium.
So, prime time viewing was 'The Hit List' (minus a significant leading consonant between R and T!)  :ohmy:

The recordings on my Youview box will be my friend for the rest of the evening!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 09:02 »
I’m ok at the moment because I enjoy a bit of cricket, tennis and snooker.  So at present I am having a bit of trouble getting my rear off my chair.  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 10:48 »
We watched an Australian crime series on Iplayer, Mystery Road, which was reasonable. Currently started Ratched on Netflix - an everyday story of psychopaths. Not sure about it.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 21:04 »
started Ratched on Netflix

Mind Hunters on Netflix is good.  It is about the early days of profiling in the FBI and is a sort of prequel of Criminal Minds.  I also enjoyed Messiah.  It has enough is he/isn't he about it to keep you guessing.  I'm currently on season 2 of Justified on Prime which is about a maverick sheriff in Kentucky. Has some wickedly funny red neck dialogue, plus plenty of conventional cop show action, but with a twist :D

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 05:58 »
We bought the full set of Bergerac DVDs recently, and started them a couple of nights ago.

The first scenes seemed a bit 'slow', but the story was strong enough to build up into a good mystery, and we both realised several reasons why - no mobiles, no mention of politics or current nasties, plenty of good photography, and some decent acting from several good names! Everything about it made for a relaxing and rewarding programme.

Seeing that the box set has nine series, I suppose it's proof that they got it about right back then (this is 1981 after all), and new writers could learn a thing or two about what citizens actually want to watch rather than just tick boxes and chuck any old tosh around!

grinling

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 20:44 »
Ghosts season 2, season 1 on BBC i player

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2020, 01:26 »
Sci-fi fans - The Expanse on Amazon Prime is brilliant. A cross between Star Trek and Firefly (sadly killed off too early), thoughtful with real characters.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2020, 10:01 »
Big thumbs up for The Expanse from Mrs P1P!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 12:45 »
Can't remember if I mentioned it earlier, but All Creatures Great and Small is an absolute delight.  Channel 5 on Tuesday evenings or repeated on Sundays  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jaydig

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 16:05 »
If you don't mind reading subtitles there are loads of really good series on Walter Presents on All4.  Some only run to 6 episodes and others have up to three series of programmes.  I used to think that Swedish and Norwegian programmes were very dark and dismal, but they have some great series out.  Among the many that I've watched over recent weeks are The Lawyer, Moscow Noir, Thou Shalt Not Kill, The Other Mother, Inspector Cain, The Adulterer and quite a few more. 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 11:28 »
As I have tinnitus, sub-titles are really useful even on the English programmes!

There's some great foreign crime dramas on Netflix too - Signs from Poland, Braco from France and a Finnish series called Bordertown was very good. A political drama from Norway called Occupy is brilliant.

One off-beat series from Norway is Lillyhammer about a Mafia boss from New York moving to rural Norway. When he ends up in a Norwegian prison at one point it's hysterical. The guard asks if he's happy with his cell and he sarcastically complains about the curtains. They change them!

A blast from the past is Black Books (on Netflix, possibly All4 too) - so funny I've ended up with tears of laughter in some episodes. Bit Marmite - you'll either love it or hate it.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2020, 19:59 »
Aaaaah, but don't forget that it takes nearly 60,000 licence fees to pay just 33 bods at the BBC for a year!

That money could have been used to make some decent progs, they had to make some cuts...

Have you factored in Mr Lineker's pay packet?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2020, 23:18 »

I thought he worked for crisps  :D

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 07:24 »

I thought he worked for crisps  :D

Ha ha ha!

As a mattererfack, we tend not to have Walker's stuff at 'The Turrets!

As Wolfie Smith would say, 'Power to the people'!...:0)

(Two things - was Wolfie any member of the real Smith's crisp company! He once said that he was an agent for MI5, and his landlady mentioned that they got their sideboard from them...)!

xx
Word we arent supposed to mention

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2023, 08:59
by Goosegirl
xx
Watch out for the con men

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 29, 2020, 15:08
by Growster...
xx
Bird watch

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

142 Replies
Last post February 16, 2024, 08:39
by snowdrops
xx
Pandemic films to watch

Started by Longshanks on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2021, 10:28
by basketcase

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 56 queries.