lots of blood!

• 23 Replies

animartco

Re: lots of blood!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 12:27 »
Hi - I had Cocci last year, The chicks were not under the weather at all, but had blood in their droppings.  A quick trip to the Vet and I came away with the same stuff that we now have for worming, they were right as rain in a couple of days. 
Junie, what was the stuff? Did it need to be injected into the mouth? My neighbour has some of this type of wormer. I am beginning to think the problem is worms because although lots of food is going in the front end very little is coming out the other. I thought when they arrived that the birds were very undersiized for the maturity of their feathers. I have larger chicks from a breed of the same size which aren't yet quite fully fledged.
Can anyone tell me is tis mouth injecting wormer effective against gut worms or is it just intended for gape worm?

animartco

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 12:45 »
I thought I had just posted a mesage but can't find it.  They are still active and eating apparently load but othing much is coming out the other end. Could it be worms? My neighbour has some wormer that you inject into the mouth. Is this the right stuff?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 16:04 »
We always recommend flubenvet for worming but vets often use panacur.

It is however, unusual for such young birds to have a worm burden high enough to need treatment.  I'd still go with coccidiosis
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 16:07 by Aunt Sally »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 17:46 »
me too Aunt Sally. The stuff previously mentioned was mainly for cattle and pigs and there is a long period between using and slaughter so not sure about the effect on any future eggs. Whilst it is mainly for worms it has been shown to help with coccidiosis.

Not sure where I got the wormer bit from as I can't find that website now  ::). typical
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 21:26 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 18:58 »
Hi, my vet gave me the intradine for cocci, not worms, i am a bit confused, it might be used for wormer in cattle and pigs but is really effective for cocci in chickens given in the water at a rate of 3mls per litre.   i just thought the vets might have this on the shelf and her birds could get treatment sooner.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 21:04 »
Intradine is effective against many gut bacteria and against coccidia too.

It's one of the Sulphonamide drugs but not used as an anti wormer as far as I know.

Junie

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 10:20 »
Hi, Sorry about the delay in replying but I have not been to the computer for a while.
I am in France so some drugs are different so it may be no help, but I used CAPIZOL Solution which is taken orally in their water for 24 hours.
hope they are recovering.

animartco

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 15:46 »
i have a really good poultry vet down here and he gave me intradine 30.89% meant for pigs and sheep ,, goes into the water works brilliant. your local vets might have some .
Thanks all. My neighbour bless him gave me some antibiotic, which he made up for me, for adding to the water, and they are fine now! Still shaking their heads but tommorrow I'll have to delouse them and hopefully that will stop. Didn't want to do anything external while they were on antibiotic. I noticed on one thread head shaking could be nerves? They are very flighty little things.

bantam novice

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 20:42 »
Hello Animal Mad,
Please could you let me know who you use as vet for your chickens.  It is always useful just in case though (touch wood) I've not had to use one for my bantams yet.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

clip
Lots of blood in the egg white?

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2015, 07:02
by New shoot
xx
Small * lump from the vent lots of blood

Started by Alby on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 15:25
by Alby
xx
Lots of Questions!!

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 04:19
by mother hen
xx
Im new and have lots of questions!!!

Started by Saffichook on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 12:06
by Saffichook

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 39 queries.