Allotments with no water supply

• 23 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: Allotments with no water supply
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 11:07 »
My recycling boxes don't have holes as they constantly fill up with rain water. I thought they'd be handy for carrots

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 13:22 »
Also training your plants to find their own water by encouraging good deep root growth and not mollycoddling them by trying to water daily is good practice ;) :)

Have fun. :)

Juperwort

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 14:01 »
Just to say, not sure how far this site is from civilisation, but ours doesn't have water. We have a few 1000litre IBC containers scattered about. One of the plot holders fills them up from a very long hose connected to his (not metered) water supply. Does it about three times a year.

Jon Gale

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 15:21 »
Just to say, not sure how far this site is from civilisation, but ours doesn't have water. We have a few 1000litre IBC containers scattered about. One of the plot holders fills them up from a very long hose connected to his (not metered) water supply. Does it about three times a year.

A good quarter of a mile to the nearest house. It really is an idyllic site, sandwiched between some woods and arable fields. Lots of pigeons, lots of rabbits.
Breaking new ground.............literally!

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 18:21 »
I'd second (or is it third, or fourth?) the don't water unless absolutely necessary and save what little you do need for plants that will really benefit from it e.g curcubits. That said, our plots are on a flood plain so we're lucky enough to be able to dig wells...of course the downside is that we regularly lose crops, esp. potatoes for some reason, to the flooding and last year, much of my plot was under water from November to March....
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Storing water on plot
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 19:31 »
Hi Guys,

Yet again not sure if this is the right place for this.

I saw a post on here a few days ago about storing water on your plot if there isn't a water supplie.  I'm lucky enough to have it supplied on our site but i still save as much as i can.

They were asking after some ideas.

i will be altering the layout of my water butts so they go down in steps, so the one on the left is high then the middle, the middle higher then the right one, to make full use of the overflow pipes.

The content of the water butts are two rain water one comfrey tea.

The main water butt has a tap on it which flows into a very small tank in my green house.

Hope this give you an idea for your plot.
DSC04998 (300 x 225).jpg
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 19:34 by Dantheman »
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Jon Gale

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 20:56 »
Cheers Dan.

Quite a few people on the plot have already cracked on and put up guttering and butts - all the sheds are apex roofs so twice the guttering needed!

I am waiting until pay day next week before I go and buy mine - no rain forecast here for a while anyway. Still hoping to pick up some free containers rather than buying butts.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Storing water on plot
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 21:00 »
i will be altering the layout of my water butts so they go down in steps, so the one on the left is high then the middle, the middle higher then the right one, to make full use of the overflow pipes.

The content of the water butts are two rain water one comfrey tea.

The main water butt has a tap on it which flows into a very small tank in my green house.

Hope this give you an idea for your plot.

That's a really good idea! Might do that myself when I get my new shed later in the year and plan to store the water behind it. :)

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 21:09 »
My allotment also has no water supply. I've just 'taken' a blue water barrell thing from someone on free cycle. No lid or tap just a storage barrell really (as I don't have a shed either) so each time I head up to the allotment I'm going to take water with me and slowly fill it up.

xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
exclamation
water charges allotments

Started by peterjf on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 23:56
by peterjf
question
Bulk supply of multi-purpose compost

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 13:41
by pdblake
xx
WATER shortage - tips for saving / harvesting water please

Started by Cr78 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:52
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 29 queries.