What would you grow in the garden?

• 9 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
What would you grow in the garden?
« on: April 20, 2020, 17:15 »
I've recently been reorganising my garden and moved the Norfolk green house over to the other side of it. Where it was has been dug as well as a bit of the scrappy lawn, and old manure and compost added. This gives me a veg bed of 7ft x 14ft in full sun.

Bearing in mind that I have the allotment for the main crop stuff, what veg would you grow/do you grow in your garden?

goose

• Experienced Member
Re: What would you grow in the garden?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 18:24 »
I also have a veg garden at home and an allotment.
I grow my toms, salad, celery, herbs at home as they need TLC  and more watering and I want them to hand when I need them also runner beans as they need daily picking when they get going.
all my stuff at the plot which is a 10 minute drive away (pots/courgettes/sweetcorn/carrots/broad&french beans, garlic/shallots/caulis etc)..can be left for a few days without me visiting unless its very dry or harvesting time.

jaydig3

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 18:27 »
I've got a few basic herbs, but those are scattered around in the flower beds - for me it's sage, rosemary, chives, oregano and thyme, plus lovage.  I had to move the lovage though, because I hadn't appreciated what a huge, tall plant it becomes.  Quite striking at the back of a flower bed, and a lovely flavour something like celery.  I don't have a proper veg bed, unfortunately, but there's a small strip of garden in front of the greenhouse, just big enough for one or two lettuces, some radish and beetroot, which are great when making a quick salad.  I also have one or two alpine strawberry plants, again in the flower borders, and these crop really well, even though the fruits are tiny.  A few of these mixed with apple make a lovely crumble.  I think it all depends on what you like to eat, and what type of cooking you do.  It will be very interesting to know what others would grow, and what you end up planting.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 19:46 »
Tomatoes would be my first choice, as insurance and protection from blight at the allotment.  I agree with the others about herbs and anything that you pick randomly as you read the recipe in the kitchen!

I'd avoid leafy crops there as it's full sun.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 20:36 »
I’d go for salad leaves,lettuce,tomatoes, 1 cucumber, as said anything that needs tlc. Or chickens, you could shade the run lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 06:25 »
My wife would say peas so that she could go out and graze on them. I would say sweetcorn so that my wife doesn't send me down to the allotment just before our meal so that they are picked fresh and the sweetness isn't lost.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 06:46 »
Great idea, Mum!

We're doing something similar - why have such a good area put to nothing but storage and sprawling compost - here anyway!

We're doing lots of beetroot in big trays, carrots in buckets, high up to keep out the fly, courgettes in two old chimney pots and a protected hardening off area and also a few other veg, which if they start to work, will be another post at some stage...

We're so lucky with our local GC delivering stuff now. Last evening, our lovely chum dropped off some badly-needed seeds on her way home, so today is a sowing day in trays for spinach, (again for the new small patch), wild rocket, radish etc!

I agree with Yorkie about too much sun, but as the huge yew tree behind us shuts all that out soon after lunchtime, we'll take a bit of a risk and carry on regardless at the moment!

(If there's room later into May, we'll pop a few more runners in for October picking...)

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 18:59 »
Not peas. Before I had an allotment less than half of them made it to the kitchen, let alone the saucepan.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 08:40 »
Perhaps some strawberries, then you can enjoy them every day in season as they ripen :)

G&R

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 21:29 »
when this pandemic lockdown started we thought we mite not be able to get down the allotments so we decided to open some more ground at home this ground had only been used for storing goodies i had collected over the years bricks slabs wood and other things

so we took the bull by the horns and cleared the ground re-locating all the stuff to another part of the garden all neat and tidy should have been done years ago so this virus thing kicked me it to touch

so we had extra  of space for raised beds so we decided the same as some of you salads in one shallots beetroot in another cauliflowers and a row of early potatoes in another we are undecided what to plant in the rest of the bed because there's only a small space maybe try growing some peas [alderman] up an obelisk  :unsure:

and since we have gone back to the allotments we need to grow some things in the raised beds  down there because there are quite a few beds to plant up but having said that i am pleased we made a new veg garden at home  because we can keep eye on the salad crops

xx
How does your garden grow?

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 08, 2023, 09:09
by mumofstig
xx
Want a Garden or land to grow fruit and veg, try "Landshare"

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 19:16
by Yorkie
clip
Just "built" a terraced garden...what to grow.

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post August 10, 2017, 18:03
by cc
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 51 queries.