Broad bean germination problem

• 29 Replies

LilacSandy

Re: Broad bean germination problem
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 10:42 »
I always start mine in plastic water cups in the house and do not take them out until germinated, when the top of the compost starts to lift you know the first leaf is about to emerge.  I then put them into a cold greenhouse for a few weeks to harden off and give them a good start then plant them out under cloches.

al78

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 16:32 »
I did examine one from a pot and it had a small patch of mould on it but was otherwise as I had sown it (i.e. it hadn't gone soft or rotted completely).

I had a look yesterday morning and some of them are now starting to poke through the soil, and one has a massive root coming through the bottom of the pot, so they appear to have germinated, just that it took a rather long time.

bravemurphy

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 17:55 »
Mine are just showing their heads now on the plot its about time as they were sown first week of Nov.

blackberryjam

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 23:22 »
Mine were sown about October too , they germinated grew to about 2ft and flowered but there's not a pod insight and there covered with brown spots.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 08:47 »
BBJ - yours being so tall will be difficult to survive the winter without any protection. Ideally they need to be no more than 4-6" high to overwinter successfully.  You may need to re-plant in Feb.. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 09:07 »
Mine were put in the ground at the end of October and luckily they took a while to germinate -- they're now almost all above the soil, but no more than 2" - many are only just showing their heads.  I'm hoping this should be just about right for overwintering; they can maybe put on another inch or so before the really bad weather comes along.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 09:17 »
SIGI yours are perfect...

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 10:35 »
Just had a look at the plot. A few weeds to be pulled, lots of tidying to do, but the broad beans are happy enough:

I'm wondering about giving them a feed with some BFB shortly to give the soil around the roots a little boost for when they start to put some growth on again.

bravemurphy

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 15:48 »
Just had a look at the plot. A few weeds to be pulled, lots of tidying to do, but the broad beans are happy enough:

I'm wondering about giving them a feed with some BFB shortly to give the soil around the roots a little boost for when they start to put some growth on again.

They are exactly the same as mine.

I think they will be fine just as they are, I got a trench of manure under mine so when they hit it they are going to fly and I hope that will be in march  ;)

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 17:38 »
Sadly there's no manure underneath mine (I've no source for it dmso rely on comfrey, BFB, etc as things grow).

Glad to hear that mine seem to be the right sort of size for overwintering - last year (at about 8 - 10" tall) my beans suffered quite badly

blackberryjam

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 21:13 »
Will sow at the end of October next year,  I was surprised how quickly they grew I didn't put any manure or fertilizer down. I'll be pulling them up tomorrow anyway has the high winds have flattened them.

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 17:28 »
Will sow at the end of October next year,  I was surprised how quickly they grew I didn't put any manure or fertilizer down. I'll be pulling them up tomorrow anyway has the high winds have flattened them.

Are these autumn sown broadbeans?

If they are still in the ground I'd leave them there... you could try simply reducing the height/trimming them back and leaving them to re-grow unless you need the space. It worked for me once.

(sorry if I'm too late with the suggestion)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

barley

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 09:45 »
I don't bother with autumn sown BB

I grow enough with my spring /  autumn sowing to pick and freeze keeps me going till about may then there's enough produce coming till summer picking starts again

blackberryjam

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 10:24 »

Are these autumn sown broadbeans?

If they are still in the ground I'd leave them there... you could try simply reducing the height/trimming them back and leaving them to re-grow unless you need the space. It worked for me once.

(sorry if I'm too late with the suggestion)

Actually it's not to late I didn't dig them up because of the bad weather ,but I did  cut them down a bit, I was going to dig them up when the ground dried out a bit more. Yes they are autumn broad beans grando violetto . I have just bought Sutton broad beans to sow in the spring.

edit to fix quote.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 18:23 by blackberryjam »

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 19:07 »
I set mine off in pots in the GH. Planted out in Nov. They are now 6" to 8" high. The last couple of frosts wilted them, but they have bounced straight back and look really healthy. I have 3 in pots in the GH. They are about 18" now and very healthy (apart from one which is getting munched by something). And no, it's not a snail or a slug, there is no evidence of any slime trail. I have noticed quite a lot of aphid and greenfly in the GH though.

xx
broad bean germination

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2020, 17:09
by Yorkie
thumbdown
BROAD BEAN PROBLEM

Started by DAVER on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 23:35
by Salmo
xx
Broad bean problem

Started by lauren on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 15:29
by lauren
xx
Broad bean problem

Started by Sid on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 12:05
by Sid

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 39 queries.