parsnips

• 7 Replies

alancas

• Experienced Member
parsnips
« on: March 05, 2016, 16:22 »
hi to all.is it ok to grow parsnips in deep buckets using compost only many thanks

Snoop

Re: parsnips
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 16:53 »
How deep are the buckets? And what variety are you proposing to grow?

For most parsnips, I reckon it's probably not a goer of an idea, not for useful production anyway. Even if you choose a broad-shouldered parsnip like Guernsey, you'd have to have a very deep bucket and not expect to grow more than one or two per bucket.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 17:52 »
I know the show growers use deep containers for growing their veg, but I find with parsnips,  getting them to germinate is a problem, cheers Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 10:24 »
thanks, the buckets are  quite deep as I grew potatoes in them last year open to suggestions on what type thanks.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 17:28 »
I know the show growers use deep containers for growing their veg, but I find with parsnips,  getting them to germinate is a problem, cheers Dave

Germinate on damp kitchen roll in a plastic box in the kitchen. When shoots are a quarter inch long, take the box to your plot, wet the end of a matchstick and gently transfer each seed to its place in the prepared seed drill. The seed will adhere to the match.

This way you get no duds.   

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 19:53 »
I grew parsnips last year. In the blue chemical containers that you see on allotments as water butts. I managed to get hold of some with lid intact. I used a jigsaw to cut them in half then drilled drainage holes. I ensured they were well rinsed. They are about 2 foot deep. I filled them to about 3 inches from the top. I used Gladiator F1. I placed a polycarbonate sheet on top, until they germinated. I planted 12 in each one. They all grew exceptionally large about the size of a beer can. I was finding due to the slow germination it was hard to distinguish the seedlings from weeds. When in the ground.

BB

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 13:46 »
In the past I've regularly grown parsnips (Hollow Crown) in builders buckets - 7-8 per bucket. They don't grow big and a few are misshapen, but they always produce enough roots ideal for baby roasts at that time of the year. I started them off around this time - chitted on damp kitchen paper and then into the buckets in relative warmth (garage) until they showed, then in a sheltered spot until the weather warms up towards the end of May.

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 15:55 »
Mr Dog - I'm going to give that a try me thinks

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 30, 2017, 19:59
by Mr Dog
xx
parsnips

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 22:11
by Teen76
xx
parsnips

Started by green jack on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 22:14
by Totty

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 38 queries.