How much top soil?

• 8 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
How much top soil?
« on: March 05, 2010, 13:29 »
I created 3 large and very deep raised beds in my garden last year.  Worked incredibly well, but I want to keep increasing the soil height, and nutrition.  A 2 months ago, I added about 6inches of well rotted manure (just on the surface as the soil was well-frozen!).  I've now received 1.5 tonnes of screened top soil (only £35 delivered - bargain I reckon!).  Question is, how much is it worth adding?  Or, what is the minimum depth of top soil (dug in with manure) most plants need before they hit soil that is more manure than top soil?

Hope this makes sense!  The reason is I want the purchased top soil to go as far as possible.

Underneath all this is very poor clay top soil dug over with home compost and small amount of purchased topsoil.  When planting last year, I also applied heavy amount of chicken pellets and BF&B.

Cheers.

noshed

Re: How much top soil?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 14:47 »
I would be inclined to put a lot on one bed for your carrots and parsnips, which will like the deep topsoil. Then the rest on the other beds equally, trying to incorporate some of the manure as you go. Sounds like you probably will end up with enough depth for most things - certainly leafy things and peas and beans. Cabbages etc like firm ground so you have to tread on that bit of bed before you plant.
Most things will benefit from a bit of bfb spinkled before sowing/planting
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 16:10 »
Thanks. 

So, for example, if I only add an inch or two and dig that into the existing top layer of manure that should be enough for most things (salad, herbs, calbrese, celery, munty bean frame, courgettes?

Doing carrots in barrels and sacks so no worries there. Thats really what Im getting at - I want to try and save as much as possible for my carrots and potatoes - they are all in sacks / tubs (a huge number of them) so could become expensive to keep filling up with purchased compost each year.

BFB - yea, was planning on liberally sprinking before planting.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 21:26 »
Hi kermit can I please ask where you got your top soil from, was it local to you or is the distribution nationwide.  Wot a bargin.

noshed

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 22:30 »
An OK scheme. A bean trench might be worth doing - just dig a trench now and put your kichen waste into it. Also newspaper scrunched up. Layer with compost. This is  just to make rich water-retaining compost for your beans.

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 10:07 »
Hi kermit can I please ask where you got your top soil from, was it local to you or is the distribution nationwide.  Wot a bargin.

Just a local garden centre I'm afraid, doubt they do nationwide:

http://www.molawn.com/

Yea, great deal - I was about to order from a national supplier at about 2-3 times that price.  The quality could be better, but will be fine mixed with compost / manure.  Just goes to show that the local business will usually do a better deal if you shop around.  Good personal service as well.

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:26 »
We are lucky in this area top soil for free as long as you can collec t it

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:48 »
I'm jealous - our local garden shop charges £57 a ton delivered.  It's even more expensive in bags.

By the way, there is a good series running in Kitchen Garden at the moment about making and planting/sowing raised beds.

We've just made a 6' x 4' x 9" deep raised bed with really thick wood salvaged from a dismantled pergola.  At the same time we salvaged quite a few bags of topsoil from some raised flower beds we got rid of at the same time.  We are going to assemble the raised bed on the allotment today, then line the bottom with cardboard now soaking in buckets.  Then we've got to dig in the contents of  the compost heap which has been rotting down since autumn, and maybe some seaweed, followed by the topsoil and keep our fingers crossed it will be enough. 

TOH is beginning to mutter dark comments about it being cheaper to buy the stuff at Waitrose - but we all know that's not the point is it ;)

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 16:52 »
Sounds good!  Yea, I had a few dark moments when we were constructing ours.  And since they are in our garden, right outisde our living room window, they had to look good.  In truth we spent quite a lot, but I dont regret it one bit.  Incredibly productive, really easy, and it simply wouldnt have been possible to grow anything on the existing 'soil' (its a new build house). 

Just finished shovelling the soil this afternoon - hard work given its soaking and mixed with the snow/slush/ice on the ground  >:(  A few bits of glass and a bit clumpy in places, but it will do the trick.  Good luck with yours...

xx
SOIL - HELP PLEASE

Started by Shandy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 16:56
by woodburner
xx
Soil help

Started by rideandy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 19:54
by Adey
question
Soil mix

Started by compoQ on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 11:48
by digalotty
xx
soil for Tom's

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 18:40
by pushrod

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 35 queries.