Hen run question

• 7 Replies

compostqueen

Hen run question
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:16 »
Am thinking of dipping my toe in the hen keeping world.  Ooer bit nervous actually

I have a piece of ground by a high wall, trellis on another side, brick air raid shelter on the other side. It's about 20 foot long by about 10 foot wide and it's been covered over with black sheet mulch for about 6 years cos we've never got round to doing anything with it cos of refurbing the house.  We put manure under the black mulch a couple of years ago and it's all now been taken down and it's now flat and level. Would this be a good scratting area for chooks?  I have a huge lawn they can be let out on but my question is should I grow grass on the bare patch too or leave it as it is for them?  

Thanks  :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Hen run question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:33 »
my chooks have their own garden, and i use bark, there are pictures here

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=14428

i put new down every spring, and its quite thick. but they love it, they kick it about make big dips in it to lay in the sun in. and its great for foraging as bugs hide in it.

im happy with the bark, but others will be along with what they have

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Hen run question
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:47 »
It sounds a good place to start. As you said you have a huge garden to let them out into.  Would suggest you put something down though, bark or sawdust otherwise it will become a mud bath very quickly after any rain.  

If you reseeded it you would need to let the grass get a hold first otherwise the chucklets would eat all of your grass seed as soon as it was put down.  I speak from experience as they make a huge dent in my top field after it was reseeded in a very short space of time!

Claire

Vember

Hen run question
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:48 »
I tend to leave an area bare so that they can scratch around, once or twice a week I go and dig it over so they get fresh worms etc...  They love it :) They also have a grassed area so u could say they have the best of both worlds :)

compostqueen

Hen run question
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:29 »
thanks for that info.  There's a big shrub in there and a climbing rose and clematis, honeysuckle and a jasmine, oh and holly tree with a goodly trunk on it but the leaves are right up high so they wouldn't get prickled. all the shrubs etc are round the edges and the middle is completely clear. Would they be ok with those plants in their run?  Hate to poison em  :shock:

Vember

Hen run question
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:39 »
I've got a holly in with mine so far "touch wood" no probs. Not sure about the others though Sorry :)

Vember

Hen run question
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 11:47 »
Just found this link off another forum:
http://kelseyinfo.co.uk/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1201700700

It's quite intresting :)

compostqueen

Hen run question
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 13:49 »
thanks for that. Sounds like I need to keep the ivy to the top of the wall then it should be out of their reach

Listen at me! Ant got none yet  :roll:

xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter
xx
question

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 11:18
by violet
xx
A why question.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 11:37
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Egg Question

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 11:44
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 36 queries.