which breed to start with.

• 3 Replies

animal mad

• Experienced Member
which breed to start with.
« on: August 02, 2009, 18:54 »
hi, i have just started with keeping chickens and i think it is brilliant. i have 5 hybrid chicks well 6 weeks old now which i have had from 1 day old. i am hopefully going to be able to get some more land soon and want to breed a chicken which is tame, i was thinking about frizzle or silkie but i am not sure how easy are they to sell  on chicks, i was thinking about a smaller breed, anyhelp would be great. i dont mind investing in a rare breed but how do i know i have got the breed standard.

Foxy

Re: which breed to start with.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 21:00 »
You have lots to choose from! I do advise to focus on one maybe two breeds you like, and find information through the breed club, then stick to your choice, NEVER buy birds on a whim and try only to source from recommended breeders.Visit some shows and exhibitions and get to know some of the club members, they are usually happy to natter and show off their favourite breed and often will help you get started with a few birds. It is so exciting when you source a few birds and breed your own! :D

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 21:19 »
i have been searching the net and quite like the idea of breeding a rare breed as i feel i will be doing something special, any ideas which have nice natures.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:23 »
Modern game they're rare, very inquisitive and friendly, pretty small.  Meets all your requirements if you can find some.  However if you want a very friendly proper looking chicken which is largish but a great layer, goes broody easily and is easy to keep free range choose a buff or light sussex.  However there's lots to choose from so look around.
Regards
Truth through science.

xx
What do I need to do to start to breed from my chicks/

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 15:21
by Nails
xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
What Breed?

Started by LoopyLu on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 20:27
by muntjac
smiley
Which breed should i get?

Started by Pollo on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post December 02, 2010, 16:42
by farmerGiles

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 34 queries.