broody hen problem

• 5 Replies

alotment shed

broody hen problem
« on: April 02, 2009, 16:22 »
i have all my dam hens broody they are all fighting for the nest just one nest tho . i have split the egges up so they arnt all in one nest box but they all want to be broody in the one box and there fighting over it . so i took that nest box away . and they just all went for 1 of the other ones . it getting a joke . try and imagine . 30 birds in one nest box thats only 2 foot long .  they all sit on each others heads the lot . just to be in that one they all being togther i understand that they like keeping warm but  there all after sitting on egges . its getting a joke . what should i do ? any ideas many thanks

Vember

Re: broody hen problem
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 16:28 »
Might be an idea to get them all out of the coop and shut the door for a bit.
Keep taking all the eggs away and I'm sure they'll get bored :)

Sarah :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 16:49 »
Are you SURE they are broody AS?  Unusual to get 30 hens all broody at the same time.  What sort of hens are they?

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 17:11 »
i'd like to see a photo of 30 hens in one nest box  :D

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 17:54 »
My 6 hens aren't broody but they all insist on laying their eggs (6 eggs a day) all in the same nesting box, which is an old cardboard box with shavings in it. 
In the chicken house (Cluckingham Palace I think it was called!), there are 2 very nice double nesting boxes, 2 wicker baskets that 2 of them used to lay their eggs in, and another single nesting box.  But they all lay their eggs in the same old cardboard box, and even queue up if one is in there laying.  Talk about being fickle!!! ::)  :nowink: :wacko:

Valerie
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

EggBound

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 18:07 »
My light sussex is still broody.  I turf her out of the nest box first thing to make sure she eats and drinks, then when I get home from work I turf her out again and shut the pophole into the house.  She then potters around with the others for a couple of hours and I open the pophole again before dark so they find their way to bed.  She was so desperate to get back in one day this week tho' that she managed to slide the pop hole open herself  ???  I'm hoping she'll give up soon.

xx
another broody problem

Started by jeannie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 12:38
by ANHBUC
xx
Broody Problem

Started by Derek.laurence on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 08:02
by jennie hennie
xx
Another broody hen problem sorry.

Started by Ruby Red on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 16:56
by nettynoodles1
xx
Broody problem

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 15:13
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 36 queries.