Wire Fence - Best Height?

• 33 Replies

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
Wire Fence - Best Height?
« on: August 04, 2013, 22:01 »
Hi,

Just joined the forum because this afternoon I acquired 3 point of lay hens, the first chickens I've kept since about 45 years ago!!

We have a Devon hen house and run but decided the run was too small for them so we let them out within a small enclosure temporarily bordered by some 2 ft high plastic netting. As the day drew out they flew up to the roof of the hen house, about 1 mtr, no doubt with roosting in mind, but we want to buy some new wire netting tomorrow to make a more permanent enclosure.

So, I have two questions, (at the moment), how high should the wire netting fence be and should I clip wings?

Some photos below....

Many thanks,

Martin.
DSCF2478.JPG
DSCF2479.JPG
DSCF2483.JPG
DSCF2486.JPG
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 22:14 by MartF »
I'm not young enough to know everything!

BobE

Re: Wire Fence Height?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 22:14 »
Hi m8, I can't answer this but there are many on this site that will.  You might have to wait till the morning though.  To be honest I wouldn't buy anything until some of the experts here talk to you.  They know their stuff.
Welcome to the site.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 22:15 by BobE »

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
Re: Wire Fence - Best Height?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 22:16 »
Thanks Mate, it is getting a bit late, hopefully someone may have replied by the time I go out tomorrow.

Cheers.

BobE

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 22:22 »
Thanks Mate, it is getting a bit late, hopefully someone may have replied by the time I go out tomorrow.

Cheers.

Wait till you get advise, I expect you will be spending a fair few quid.  Ive seen on here that they build high welded mesh stuff, chickin wire won't do it.  They bury it as well.  Honestly wait for some guidance before you do anything.
Lovely house and run by the way.

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 22:25 »
Yep, you're right, I'll wait. Thanks.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 22:28 »
Hello and welcome to the site MartF. 

I can see from your photos that you have a fence of about 6ft high already at one side.  If they are anything like my first hens they will soon get the hang of flying up on to that.  You will need to decide if you are wanting a permanent run or are you going to move it around the garden?  I used a moveable electrified netting fence for mine which was 25m long.  I also have some of the Omlet netting which I find easier to move around as it is lighter.  It is 1.25m high which is more than most net fences, it comes with a gateway and is so easy to put the posts where you need them along the netting.  They are not cheap but you can sometimes get used ones a little cheaper on places like Gumtree, eBay, Preloved.

A cheaper alternative would be scaffold netting that already has holes in so you could rig up some posts of your own.  Don't make any fencing with a rigid top as they will just fly up on to it.  My bantams fly up into the rafters of their walk in run which is around 6.5ft high.  You may still need to clip one wing as they will clear a 1.25m fence if they have sufficient runway!   ::) :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 22:31 »

Cheers.
This is what I do ! 8ft stakes driven in 2ft ! 2 separate sets of netting 1 at 1200 and 1 at 1000 . mark out your proposed compound ,and dig a trench a spit deep and wide ,when thats done set the 1200 wire in it with the bottom of the wire covering the bottom of the trench then back fill . attach the wire to the stakes suitably tensioned ! That then leaves the second set of netting which you attache to the stakes level with the top of the first lot ,which should be higher than the stakes in total by about a foot let this just flop outwards foxes don't like loose wire ! join the 2 sets together by using a nail between the top and bottom strand and twisting . Hope this helps  :)
I cook therefore I grow

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 22:39 »
Thanks for the reply, the garden is actually enclosed all the round by the 6ft fence but we grow a lot of veg elsewhere so we don't need the runs running through that!

I'm surprised to hear that they might scale that 6ft fence, so would you advise clipping a wing and would that prevent it?

I was hoping something like a 4ft fence might hold them in and I think we are now leaning towards a permanent run now we realise the the hen house run is too small. Originally we thought we might just move it about but as soon as the hens went in this afternoon we could see it was too small despite the makers saying it was suitable for 3 hens.

Thanks again, will need to give this more thought I think!

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 22:42 »
]This is what I do ! 8ft stakes driven in 2ft ! 2 separate sets of netting 1 at 1200 and 1 at 1000 . mark out your proposed compound ,and dig a trench a spit deep and wide ,when thats done set the 1200 wire in it with the bottom of the wire covering the bottom of the trench then back fill . attach the wire to the stakes suitably tensioned ! That then leaves the second set of netting which you attache to the stakes level with the top of the first lot ,which should be higher than the stakes in total by about a foot let this just flop outwards foxes don't like loose wire ! join the 2 sets together by using a nail between the top and bottom strand and twisting . Hope this helps  :)

Thanks Sparkyrog, It seems this is going to be more difficult than I first thought!   :ohmy:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 22:48 »
I forgot to say you fold the wire out at the bottom of the trench ! and yes I would clip  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 22:49 »
Yes the hens will fly over a 4ft fence if they have a run up.  One of my Black Rocks could fly vertically on to a tree branch that was 7ft in the air!  They do settle down when they are over a year old, possibly because they are not as light.   :lol:

If you are going to do a walk in run I would go down the route of making a temporary enclosure with scaffolding/debris netting.  You can use premade panels for a run or make your own, they are not difficult to make.  We made our own and used the netting to cover the top before we roofed it completely.

Walk in run roof and turkey poults 009.JPG

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 22:52 »
ANHBUC, Thats a cool setup!

I'm beginning to get the idea I think.

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 23:00 »
As Bob said, don't rush in to things as it can work out more expensive.  We started off with a coop and run similar to yours and with lots of bad weather decided to go the whole hog.  They do free range most of the day and we are constantly adapting the runs to make things easier.  It is in 3 sections, one for the main flock, then a small one for quail and a small one for broody and chicks.  We have since got a Eglu cube which is now outside the run which makes cleaning and egg collection easy.  Next step is to put the Eglu classic that is in the broody run on the outside as well.  It is a never ending and constantly evolving project!!   ::)

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 23:43 »
One advise I have found chickens fly O yes they do and also mr fox might take ago at them. Id say best bet is to put a roof and all sides so at least you know where they are and mr fox doesnt get in.
Kind Regards
Bill

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 08:59 »
If you choose not to put a roof on I second the advice not to make the netting taut, it not only discourages the hens but also Mr fox as he cannot get a good scramble over the top. You could also make a very tall fence with the top leaning outwards at 45 degrees to stop Foxy. :) This would need to be taut but it would need to be very high. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Chicken wire/wire fence

Started by Ali on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 18:04
by Tweety
xx
Fence height

Started by steptoe and son on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 12:46
by eddy h
xx
Wing-clipping and run fence height.

Started by Diggit on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 22:13
by evie2
xx
wire fence

Started by fluffy feather on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 01:46
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 32 queries.