moulting

• 4 Replies

Jo-n-Neil

moulting
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:19 »
Is it usual for chooks to moult around 6 months old? Only one is losing feathers she looks very bedraggled. Her comb is smaller than the others and not as red but she is very bright in herself eating and drinking well, wandering about and pecking outside with the others. She dosnt seem to be being bullied and ive checked her over and cant see anything untoward.

Cheers

Jo xx

Vember

moulting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:09 »
Could it  be they are having a late partial moult & getting their adult plumage :?
Is there any area more effected or is it all over :?

Sarah :)

Jo-n-Neil

moulting
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 13:33 »
Hey im new to all this  :lol: (can you tell). Her neck and head is worse. Not bald but she looks like she has a speckled head now. Tail feathers a bit few but apart from that ok. There are lots of feathers coming out of her tho small downy ones so your probably right. Shes ok in all other ways tho.

Cheers Jo x

Jo-n-Neil

moulting
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 17:43 »
HAd a really good look tonight and im now pretty sure shes being pecked and bullied. She was on the perch and two others sat on top of her with a right racket going off so i have moved her. Im not sure if i have done right but bringing her home is not a good idea because of the dogs so i have got her a cardboard box with lots of straw in and put her in the polytunnel. She has somthing to perch on and she should be warm enough (its empty at the mo) with good ventilation. Have i done right and when can i re introduce her to the others?

Cheers Jo x

(sorry for the daft questions)

compostqueen

moulting
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 17:46 »
I think TMG has good knowledge of separation of a bullied chook and she's got a thread on it so well worth a read of that (Hen House)

xx
moulting

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 20:36
by daisy1990
xx
moulting again!

Started by hermon on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 06:16
by hermon
xx
Moulting or something else?

Started by heifer on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2007, 23:03
by Aunt Sally
xx
moulting or ill?

Started by wellies101 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 20:04
by wellies101

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 38 queries.