Cleaning out Rice Weevils?

• 1 Replies

DanielCoffey

Cleaning out Rice Weevils?
« on: August 25, 2023, 18:44 »
I have been unfortunate enough to get a 4Kg batch of expensive rice which turned out to have Rice Weevil eggs in it. While I did keep it in a plastic box to keep the mice out, it also meant I didn't see the Weevils until they had hatched and started to multiply!

I don't want to throw the rice away as it is imported Brown Jasmine Rice from Spain and there is 4Kg of it worth about £20. I have had it long enough that I cannot in fairness send it back for a refund so I have to deal with it myself.

It is currently in its airtight box in the freezer for a few days to kill off the adults and eggs. They are not harmful to ingest and do not carry diseases so fall under the "peck of dirt" category but I was still wondering... is there a way to separate the adults from the rice once the box is defrosted?

I cannot blow air on them because the rice will scatter too. I cannot sieve them because the adults are only a little smaller than the rice. I cannot wash the entire box of rice because it will then need extremely thorough drying. I suspect I will simply have to wash a portion of the rice before cooking and trust that the dead weevils will float.

So... any tips for separating the weevils in advance or do I just have to wait and wash a portion at a time?

Yes I am sure they are Rice Weevils and while I do have a picture I will protect the potentially squeamish!

DanielCoffey

Re: Cleaning out Rice Weevils?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 13:40 »
Turns out Rice Weevils float, really well. All the dead adults floated right away with the first rinse. Any rice that was mostly eaten by one of the developing larva floated off with a bit of encouragement. The remaining rice that was only nibbled or untouched stayed on the bottom of the pot as usual.

xx
flour weevils!

Started by wighty on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2023, 09:31
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Egg fried rice

Started by nerdle on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post July 05, 2013, 18:17
by nerdle
xx
rice salad

Started by Sharon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 17:50
by Sharon
xx
Rice flour

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 10:18
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 40 queries.