Is everyone as mad as me?

• 35 Replies

jinty1911

Re: Is everyone as mad as me?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 18:37 »
There's not many chicks around here (they aint cottoned on yet) but would have been nice to see them.  Don't think they have arrived yet though.  The place was just toooo tidy.  Nice clean leaves covered the whole area and lots of things to jump and play on.  Looked lovely.  :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2: Will have a look next week.  :D  :D

But are you mad enough to knock the door (house not coop!) on the lines of "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours"?

To be truthful, yes, I actually am  :lol:  :lol: If can't see them on Sunday, will knock door, pretend I am delivering meal and just happen to mention the Chickens  :D  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 08:43 »
OK I repeat..............yes you do need help Jinty   ;)  :lol:

Pssssssttttttttttt - I'd do the same  :lol:

jinty1911

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 19:55 »
Well just went one worse!!  A farmer I deliver too told me that his grandson has 2 chooks and I have started delivering right next to where the grandson stays.  Yahoo!! saw the chicks today. Obviously I was straight out of van to say hello to them and just happened to have some green cabbage with me.  :lol:  :lol: Told the farmer that I had been talking to the chickens.  Grandad said the boy wanted a few more, to which the grandmother replied "he doesn't need any more".  I said "Oh, yes he does!!!"   :tongue2:  :tongue2:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 06:52 »
Well to be fair, who doesn't travel without a few chickie greens just in case  :nowink:  :lol:

jinty1911

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 20:35 »
Just happened to fall into Asda en route.  Had some lovely crusty bread aswell but decided that was very good for them  :D

jinty1911

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 17:30 »
Update -  was back today and this time I saw them.  6 Warrens and the nice toooo tidy run is looking a bit muddy now.  Had a wee chat to them.  They didn't say much, just stared at me as in "who is this weirdo?".   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 17:57 »
Wait till they realise you carry handy supplies of cabbage  ;)  :lol:

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 20:27 »
 ??? I am mad in a slightly different way! I went to say goodnight to my chickens and shut their door just after dark yesterday only to find them roosting on the ramp up to the door. I had only gone and shut their door when I went to give them their kitchen scraps in the afternoon!

Found loads of closet chicken keepers in my village. My sister was doing some research into chicken welfare and campilobacter and wanted poo from chickens kept free range and in small numbers. Well one chicken keeper led to the next and in no time I got about 12 new chicken friends! oh and lots of bags of poo!

Love Bev

jinty1911

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 18:24 »
Wait till they realise you carry handy supplies of cabbage  ;)  :lol:

Ha ha only had a box of Thorntons chocolates with me today and they weren't getting any!! Had a new delivery at a farm outside town and was all excited that they might have chickens but only cows.  What a disappointment.  :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 21:24 »
There you go Jinty - some-one is as mad as you.  You and Bev make a great pair :nowink:  :lol:

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 21:40 »
We also have a mad chicken in our road! She is roosting in a neighbours very overgrown garden at night and wandering up and down the road and hanging around outside the school gates during the day. No one knows whose she is or where she has come from. I keep hoping she will join up with my chickens. People keep asking me if she is one of mine. She does not seem tame and no one is able to catch her so far.

The neighbour's garden has attracted chickens before, he has a funny story about my other neighbours white bantam which escaped when they first got their hens. It walked right in to the house through the cat flap and he didn't notice it roosting on his white oven. The two of them got quite a shock when they met in the semi- dark in the early morning. There was a lot of flapping apparently! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bev

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 08:21 »
That's a brilliant story Bev - I can just picture it  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Try enticing your runaway with food as she does need to be secure at night and have a proper food supply if she is going to survive long term.  Have you got a neighbour who goes fishing and might have a net  :unsure:

hillfooter

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 12:15 »

Try enticing your runaway with food as she does need to be secure at night and have a proper food supply if she is going to survive long term.  Have you got a neighbour who goes fishing and might have a net  :unsure:

You could try Captain Birdseye ???
HF
Truth through science.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 17:15 »

You could try Captain Birdseye ???
HF

:nowink:  :lol:

I dunno, I wuz just trying to help  ::)

Abacus

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 17:38 »
We are, obviously, all mad but has anyone gone to the extreme of building a bench in the hen run like me and sitting there watching them - great stress relief therapy!
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.