help found a snake

• 38 Replies

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
help found a snake
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 19:50 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
no snakes in ireland :wink:
i think i mite move to ireland then and ive up dated every thing and i did it by my self :D  :D  :tongue2:
need all the help i can get and not just with my allotment

muntjac

help found a snake
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 19:50 »
well no matter this time year it was to cold for it move fast n it would not have bitten ya .we find them commonly along this coast ,they usually move away from footfall .have helped collect the venom for them many years ago in oxfordshire near wallingford  the old roman road bank :)
still alive /............

Selkie

help found a snake
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 20:24 »
Quote from: "ToHellWithWeeds!"
i think i mite move to ireland then and ive up dated every thing and i did it by my self :D  :D  :tongue2:

well done girl! :D

my dad got bitten by a snake  and nearly died --- it was a kenyan snake though so don't go worrying about british ones :wink:

gobs

help found a snake
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 21:02 »
Now, you reassured her, Rose.

Do not worry, they are not going to hurt you, leave them alone, besides being protected, they eat rodents, be happy to have them around!

And even if it's an adder, which is venomous, it's not lethal, so chill out.

:wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muntjac

help found a snake
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 21:07 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Now, you reassured her, Rose.

Do not worry, they are not going to hurt you, leave them alone, besides being protected, they eat rodents, be happy to have them around!

And even if it's an adder, which is venomous, it's not lethal, so chill out.

:wink:
 sorry gobs ,,,,,,,,,.... IT IS LETHAL

to children and people with bad hearts etc ..... a normal healthy person can survive the initial attack but must seek medical help .... we have about 30 strikes on folks in this county alone . suffolks coastal pathways are prime adder spots being sand dunes and cliffs from the south to the norfolk/lincs border

muntjac

help found a snake
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 21:10 »
from the forestry commison of suffolk

The adder is the only poisonous snake native to Britain. Adders have the most highly developed poison injecting mechanism of all snakes, but they are not aggressive animals. Adders will only use their poison as a last means of defence, usually if caught or trodden on. No one has died from adder bite in Britain for over 20 years. .with proper treatment the worst effects are nausea and drowsiness, followed by severe swelling and bruising in the area of the bite. Most people who are bitten were handling the snake. Treat adders with respect and leave them alone
Name
Adder (Vipera berus)

Lifestyle
Habitat
Adders are relatively common in areas of rough, open countryside and are often associated with woodland edge habitats. They are less inclined to disappear into the surrounding undergrowth when disturbed and so are probably the most frequently seen of the three British snakes. The best time to see them is in early spring when they emerge from their hibernation dens. By mid April, the males have shed their dull winter skin and are ready to mate. There is a lot of frenzied activity on warm days, with males looking for females and occasionally wrestling with other males for supremacy. The 'dance of the adders' was thought to be a mating display, but it is a larger male attempting to drive off a smaller one. The snakes writhe around each other in an impressive way, often covering the ground at great speed.

Breeding
Following mating, females seek out a suitable place to give birth, often travelling over 1 kilometre from the hibernation site. Births take place in late August / early September. Unlike most reptiles, adders do not lay eggs. Young snakes are born about the size and shape of an earthworm, but a perfect miniature of the adult snake.

Development
During the autumn, adult snakes follow scent trails left by other adders to find their way back to the hibernation site, which is often used by many snakes over several years. The young adders tend to hibernate in the area where they were born. Their survival largely depends on the severity of the weather in the following winter.

Diet
Adders usually eat small rodents, such as the short-tailed vole. They will also eat lizards, frogs and newts, and have been seen taking young from the nests of ground nesting birds. When hunting, adders strike swiftly at the prey, injecting a lethal dose of poison. They then wait until the prey dies before starting the often lengthy swallowing process. Like all snakes, adders eat their prey whole, their teeth are designed to grip the prey as it is swallowed. Their jaws are linked by extensible connective tissue so each of the four main bones can move independently. This means they are able to swallow items much larger than the width of their head. The lower ends of the ribs are not joined as in most animals and can also open out considerably. The adder's digestive fluid is amazingly powerful and will digest the flesh and bones of their prey almost completely. Only the hair and teeth of rodents pass through intact.

Threats
Young adders are threatened by a variety of predators, including birds of prey such as the common buzzard and sometimes adult snakes. Others may be killed and eaten by rodents while in hibernation. Adders are protected by law against being killed or injured through human activity.

Identification
Most adders are distinctively marked with a dark zigzag running down the length of the spine and an inverted 'V' shape on the neck. Males are generally white or pale grey with a black zigzag. Females are a pale brown colour, with a darker brown zigzag. But some adders are entirely black and can be mistaken for some other species.

How we manage our woods
Most of the woods managed by the Forestry Commission are suitable for adders. The way we manage the woods - cutting down older trees and planting young trees - provides excellent habitat. For the first 10 years as the young trees grow, adders can build up large populations unseen. Then as the tree canopy closes overhead, the snakes seek out the light and warmth that is available at the woodland edge.

gobs

help found a snake
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 22:03 »
I'm sorry, Munty, but this viper native to Britain is not recorded by most specialized organizations as having lethal venom, even smaller mammals like dogs are advised to be at great risk only in spring time, when venom is stronger.

There are 10 recorded fatalities over the last 100 years. And that's for several reasons, and as you say prompt treatment is required, and it's horrid, it's gonna affect individuals differently, but it's not the end of the world in the world of venomous snakes.

I only wanted to calm THWW down a bit. Thanks, for helping.  :roll:  :)

muntjac

help found a snake
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 22:05 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I'm sorry, Munty, but this viper native to Britain is not recorded by most specialized organizations as having lethal venom, even smaller mammals like dogs are advised to be at great risk only in spring time, when venom is stronger.

There are 10 recorded fatalities over the last 100 years. And that's for several reasons, and as you say prompt treatment is required, and it's horrid, it's gonna affect individuals differently, but it's not the end of the world in the world of venomous snakes.

I only wanted to calm THWW down a bit. Thanks, for helping.  :roll:  :)

no worries gobs lol .. reckon we did that tween us  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
help found a snake
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 22:33 »
HMMMM re Munty's rather long and informative post... not a spelling or grammer mistake in there....  Cut and paste jobbie then!!   :lol:  :wink:

muntjac

help found a snake
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 22:35 »
i did say its from the forestry commison lol ..u dont fink im daft enuff to write that lot n not use spell check do ya lmaoooooo :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
help found a snake
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 22:35 »
no snakes in ireland :wink:

St. Patrick drove all the snakes from Ireland. He stood on a hill back in the fifth century and used a staff to herd them into the sea, banishing them for eternity.

frazzy

help found a snake
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 22:53 »
adders usually live in heath land.  grass snakes live near water sounds like a grass snake to me
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

Selkie

help found a snake
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 23:58 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

St. Patrick drove all the snakes from Ireland. He stood on a hill back in the fifth century and used a staff to herd them into the sea, banishing them for eternity.

he also got rid of the moles :wink:

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
help found a snake
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 18:05 »
Quote from: "ToHellWithWeeds!"

well done girl! :D

my dad got bitten by a snake  and nearly died --- it was a kenyan snake though so don't go worrying about british ones :wink:

Well ive been on my allotment all day and no snakey so i think its made a new home thank god!!! i think ive id seen it i wudda wet myself  :cry: . had two more bonfires kept lovelly an warm even toasted my butties on it yummie :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Selkie

help found a snake
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2007, 18:07 »
i'd say it would have been more scared of you than you were of it (though i never believe my husband when he says this about spiders :shock: )

glad he/she has moved on so you can enjoy your allotment

xx
found another bargin for you all

Started by diddy dave on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 09:36
by KingEdward
xx
Found the culprit

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2017, 15:40
by 8doubles
xx
Found some photos!

Started by Selkie on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 12:04
by Selkie
clip
Found a worm???

Started by Kathogur on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 09:47
by Kathogur

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 28 queries.