dying acer trees

• 14 Replies

grumpydad

dying acer trees
« on: May 30, 2009, 07:13 »
we have had acers in pots for several years, some i have grown from seed and are over 25 years old, this year, for some reason i have started to loose some, the leaves turn brown and they just die off, very quickly, i have lost 5 so far this year.
any ideas ?, thay have had the same treatment as other years, renew of good quality compost in the top with a fish blood and bone feed, plenty of water, as they are in pots.

martyn

doubledug

• Experienced Member
Re: dying acer trees
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 07:43 »
twenty five years old, thats quite an age to be in a pot for what is after all a sicamore tree. if you think what size the roots would be left to roam free do you think it could be they need too be planted in mother earth. :unsure:   

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 08:16 »
possibly, but the 2 biggest seem to be ok at the moment, it is the smaller ones that are dying off, thought it might be windburn, but the leaves are not coming back when i have moved them to be out of the wind

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 19:50 »
Acers are fairly long lived so I doubt it is because they are at the end of their life.

Did they get very wet in the winter? That might sound daft but it can affect their ability to grow in the spring  :unsure: :unsure:

It has been very hot, sunny and windy so it is possible they have been too dry now, but if the others are OK...

Acers don't tend to suffer too mcuh from diseases, and pests are mainly things like aphids.... check the trunks to make sure they are not infested with giant scaly woolly looking aphids as these can kill a tree quite quickly, especially if it is under stress already. (or botrytis which you'd notice  :D)

Good luck  :)

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 19:56 »

It has been very hot, sunny and windy so it is possible they have been too dry now, but if the others are OK...

possibly, but the 2 biggest seem to be ok at the moment, it is the smaller ones that are dying off,

Could it be the big ones are OK because they are in bigger pots aaand the others, in smaller pots have dried out?  Wind and sun we have had lately is very drying
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 19:58 by celjaci »
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 19:57 »
I've lost a lot of leaves off mine this spring.  I've put it down to cold, drying winds  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 20:02 »
I've lost a lot of leaves off mine this spring.  I've put it down to cold, drying winds  :(
You're probably right. One of ours has windburn on the more exposed side.. all curled and brown edges  :wacko:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 20:05 »
Yes, that's what I've got !

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 20:09 »
Shame really as the leaves are so gorgeous. I'm cutting them off, including the stem as more will grow  :D

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 20:25 »
If your acers are at all like Canadian acers, they get HUGE! (60ft and taller) and have incredibly deep taproots. I can't imagine them living in a any sized pot for over 25 years unless you've turned it into bonsai. The root spread is also enormous so I'd say that your potted tree has reached its end. If you open up your pot I imagine you'll find an incredibly tangled mess of starved roots.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 22:02 »
If your acers are at all like Canadian acers, they get HUGE! (60ft and taller) and have incredibly deep taproots. I can't imagine them living in a any sized pot for over 25 years unless you've turned it into bonsai. The root spread is also enormous so I'd say that your potted tree has reached its end. If you open up your pot I imagine you'll find an incredibly tangled mess of starved roots.

I think japanese ones are much smaller  :unsure:

Diy-king

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 08:24 »
I give mine a feed once a month of chicken manure pellets and fish, blood and bone every other month. Every year they are taken out of the pot just before they start into life again and the roots are cut back to allow new root growth and room in the pot. All soil removed and then re-potted with fresh soil. This seems to do the trick for me.
If it brakes get out the hammer
if that does'nt work get a bigger hammer

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 17:56 »
Cold, drying winds can affect them as has been said here by others as I know to my cost. Something I learnt recently about acers in pots is that the pot has to dwarf the acer or it can die - don't know the facts behind it but found it by accident on a website. Don't know if this helps.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 21:11 »
Cold, drying winds can affect them as has been said here by others as I know to my cost. Something I learnt recently about acers in pots is that the pot has to dwarf the acer or it can die - don't know the facts behind it but found it by accident on a website. Don't know if this helps.

Sounds like the same principle that bonsais work to  :)

grumpydad

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 21:44 »
thanks or the advice, have trimmed the branches that are dying off the big acers, one is an 8ft tall red. it has put out some shoots from the trunk in the last few weeks, so it looks like it will survive, but i have lost 5 smaller acers, up to 3ft tall.
disposed of in case there is something in the soil. no scale aphid on any of them

martyn

xx
Dying Acer

Started by Gardener Girl on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 18:09
by sunshineband
xx
All my trees are dying :(

Started by elzorillo on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 10:17
by elzorillo
xx
acer

Started by davidmw on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 23:01
by chrissie B
xx
Acer

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 10:29
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 28 queries.