question?

• 12 Replies

coo!

question?
« on: April 11, 2009, 16:21 »
ive planted my spuds garlic sown me beans peas carrots etc but how do you all go about planting some more for some later on cause all me space is used up?
Face your Fears .............
............Live your Dreams

Never eat yellow snow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: question?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 16:33 »
sorry but do you mean all your space for pots for sowing is full, or do you mean all your plot is already full ???

coo!

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 16:41 »
yeah my plot near enough its a half plot and ive put my tatas in thats used about a quarter then a space for my broad beans and french beans, then at the other end ive got onions and garlic and space for my pumkins caugetts? spelling sorry! squashes then me other little bits for cabbage cauli and broccili and thats it gone!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 16:50 »
Well if you have early spuds in you can follow them with your squash/pumpkin, that'll give you a bit more space, you just have to pot them up a size while they're waiting.
But if they're main crop spuds that won't work. :blink:

If they're early peas you should be able to pick them before you transplant some your brassicas in their place. 
other than that can't think of anything to help.
It's a right pain when you run out of space i'm always the same trying to shoe horn too much in :(

coo!

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 16:55 »
yeah i could put the pumkins and that when i lift earlies, nice 1 will this affect "crop rotation" cause im still unsure where i can put things ive basically just chucked things as ive dug this year cause i got the plot lateish and hope to start crop rotation properly next year i wont plant too much over winter so i can get some goodness in to the ground. its a bit mind bogglin at times but im really enjoying it!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 17:11 »
My veg garden isn't big enough either, but Brian doesn't want me to dig up the rest of the garden!!  Goodness knows where I'll put all my leek plants!!!!!  and my brassica space is too small, and I won't be able to fit all my peas and beans into their alloted space, and I've had to restrict myself to 2 bags of seed potatoes too!!!!   :) :)

coo!

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 17:18 »
My veg garden isn't big enough either, but Brian doesn't want me to dig up the rest of the garden!!  Goodness knows where I'll put all my leek plants!!!!!  and my brassica space is too small, and I won't be able to fit all my peas and beans into their alloted space, and I've had to restrict myself to 2 bags of seed potatoes too!!!!   :) :)
when you say your bassica area is too small does that mean when you rotate next year you'll just make that area bigger for what ever your putting in that year? is rotation just a rule of thumb or do you HAVE  to stick to your areas?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 17:34 »
My problem with rotation Coo, is that when my Brian put the paths in for me, he wouldn't make a boring cross shape, it's 2 larger beds and 2 smaller beds, so planning my rotation isn't as easy as it is for some people.

But with brassicas, because I have so many things I want to plant, I did say that I wouldn't grow some many cabbages this year as we are in the heart of cabbage country here in Lincolnshire, and cabbages are cheap!  But my daughter bought me some cabbage and cauliflower seeds that I haven't tried yet, and I got some other different varieties of brocolli and stuff from John and someone else, and what I sowed has all come up!!!!  And I want them all!!!!! lol

You'll soon get used to rotation, but I always draw out a little plan each year so I can look back over the years and see what needs to go in next time.  At first though I don't think it matters quite so much, it's just when you plant the same things year after year after year that pests and diseases build up.

The fields out the back of us have had a good variety of crops in them over the past 7 years, sometimes cabbages, then potatoes, then peas then cauliflower now this year is potatoes again, but the fields out the front only ever seem to have cauliflowers in them, so they must get sprayed much more as its the same thing every year!

This pic was taken as he was first doing the paths, see how he has staggered them?  I know I can mix different things in one bed, but I have soooo many things to plant, and this was before I got my polytunnel which is now at the end of the veg patch.

Mind you, it's before almost anything was there!!!! lol
veg garden apr 2 2005.JPG

coo!

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 17:41 »
aye its new at mo but ive got years to get it!! :) cheers for that advice grannie annie  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 17:42 »
on a small plot i was told not to get too strung up about a stict rotation plan.
Just try not to follow spuds with more spuds or brassicas with more brassicas.
or onions with more onions.
Other than that it doesn't really matter what goes where cos the other crops don't have too many problems.
Each time you plant something else fork in lightly a little blood fish and bone first (or growmore if that's what you have)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 17:44 »
You're welcome Coo, don't worry, you'll be so pleased with yourself, that you'll be wantign a much bigger plot soon!!!!  ;) ;)

coo!

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 17:49 »
cheers mumofstig! will do nowt been dug in as yet but will do over colder months just wanted to get something growing!!

aye when i took it on i thoght half plot would do fine wont get over my head with it its amazing how quickly it fills up, mind you ive been waiting 6months for it and the plot next to me only seems to use the bottom half of theirs soo the bit next to mine might come up one day  ;) then i'll have me full plot! ha ha  8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 19:11 »
ask em if you can have the unused bit now if they look like they don't want to use it!
(It may be it's just taking them a long while to get round to it tho :))

xx
to buy or not to buy that is the question ?

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2019, 13:35
by rowlandwells
xx
Gladioli question

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2014, 11:24
by Kristen
xx
Bamboo question

Started by Ice on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 23:04
by richyrich7
xx
Yet another what is this plant question

Started by jonewer on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 16:12
by pdblake

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.