Planning ahead

• 9 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Planning ahead
« on: July 23, 2013, 08:40 »
We got our Christmas cropping seed spuds in at work yesterday.  I resisted them as I don't heat the greenhouse and getting a worthwhile crop would be difficult.  Did prompt me to pick up a pack of red cabbage plants though.

Remembered today to book a cabbage plant collection with DT Brown and managed to find a new choi sum that I absolutely had to buy seeds of  ::)  Then looked at my seed sowing list and I have loads to try this autumn and winter  :)  Oriental greens, mustard greens, collards and the usual old favourites of chard, kale and the like.

Already got leeks and swede growing away on the plot and space clearing as the spuds get dug. Having a seed sowing break at the moment, but looking forward to getting going with this lot and making the greenhouse and plot productive through the end of the year and into next spring  :D

Veg growing is great. Always something to look forward to. What is everyone else planning  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Planning ahead
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:54 »
I've already got Winter cabbage, swede and red cabbage in, there's kale in pots waiting for room to plant them; but I've got to remember to sow my Spring cabbage over the next week or so  :)

I also have a stack of oriental and other green leafy things to start soon, for the winter greenhouse. I think there'll be another log-jam cos the tomatoes are a bit behind this year  ::)

ooohh and have a few garden perennials to start for next year  :blink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:57 »
Planning on waiting for the Wyevale 50p sale!  :lol:

Having said that I did make a move at Garden Organic with their half price sale, so I've got a lot of next year already in the metaphorical bag.

Not parnips, of course!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:00 »
Well done you - for reminding me to wait - for you to remind me when the seed sales start  :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 10:42 »
I just want to fill the plot with more stuff, feel really optimistic about the season and harvests so far.
Trying to focus on after the birth so i am on a serious mission to get these plots really active and full.

I am just taking note or ahould that be pinching everyone elses ideas.  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 10:45 »
I have a note on my calender to sow some overwintering onions on 18th August

Now that it's begun to rain I'll start sowing spinach again, not to mention oriental leaves, spring onions and cabbages.  I think some more fennel might be on the cards too.  Oh, and more salad leaves!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 10:38 »
Well we got some new veg packs in at work, so I just had to go look didn't I  ::)

Small 6 cell packs but some had loads of seedlings in.  Ended up with Red Russian kale, green curly kale and some fennel.  Only 6 fennels, but big strong seedlings.  I think I have a dud batch of fennel seeds as two sowings have failed now  :(  Will have enough kale to feed Reading by the time I prick them all out  :lol:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 14:27 »
I've got some 'Maris Peer' tatties for Christmas dinner!

Looking to get some japanese onion sets for over winter BUT going to sprout them on first this year like I do with my springtime sets as just planting them in the ground last autumn, I didn't get a single onion!

The PSB and Tuscan kale is all in for the spring - got so much I should be eating it daily! :D

Sowing more herbs and spring cabbage today - plus will sow more Broccoli Rabe, as this is ready in 60 days.

More radish and turnips to go in too.

seaside

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 16:45 »
My leeks and Winter turnips are in already and growing strongly, although the leeks have had to be trimmed. I left the fleece off for 3 days , and in, wham, the moth was in. My silly mistake. Will supplement with some garden centre leeks just in case. Kale, sprouts, Winter caulis, PSB also already in.
Will plant the usual Autumn onions and broad beans, but my main preparation this Autumn is the green manure/ soil conditioning. I've done a fair bit of research and I will do a good job.. Looking forward to the process. I might just raise 4 or 5 beds and set them out properly with barge boards to accommodate more effective netting. I refuse to do that to the whole plot though.

snow white

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 17:24 »
January Kings planted,  PSB growing for spring,  Japanese onion seeds in, batch of broad beans in for Oct havest,   chard sown,  winter carrots sown in pt, spring cabbage sown..  So far.   Plan to fully utilise the poly tunnel.  First year of gowing so stealing all ideas mentioned.

xx
Planning ahead....

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 12:45
by beesrus
xx
Planning ahead

Started by Clueless on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 09:04
by WG.
xx
Planning ahead - sweetcorn

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 21:32
by RJR_38
xx
filing the gap planning ahead

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 19:40
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 37 queries.