HELP having problems with worms!!!

• 6 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
HELP having problems with worms!!!
« on: October 30, 2013, 20:46 »
Sorry for the not very nice subject but I'm pulling my hair out. I have three cats, one dog (plus chickens of course) they are all regularly wormed BUT back in the summer while our dog was in kennels, she passed a huge worm, when she had only been wormed about 2-3weeks before and now today, i saw a bit of a worm on my black cats bottom, checked the calendar and he isn't due worming for another 4 weeks!! We use Milbemax from the vets, which I thought was the best of the wormers.

Please is anyone having problems with worms  this year?
What wormer do you use?
How often to you redose?
Any help pleaseeeeeee

Many thanks
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

Trillium

Re: HELP having problems with worms!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 21:21 »
You could always try this home treatment though it will not be immediate but should work fairly quickly:

http://www.examiner.com/article/frugal-home-remedies-for-treating-cats-with-worms

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 00:23 »
I wouldn't worry too much Cammi.  If the eggs are around there's always a chance that they'll pick them up, and cats are always more susceptible, particularly if they're hunters.  Give the vets a call to check if you can worm them early. 
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:27 »
We use Profender spot-on which covers quite a few types of worms. It's not cheap but is available on line. There are three strengths according to the weight of the animal. Don't know how it compares to Milbemax but Profender is what our vet gave us.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 19:32 »
It may not be, what wormer are you using ?

But more a question of, the active ingredients.

In horses, you sometimes get resistance build up, if you use the same wormer all the time, worms may build up a tolerance & survive. By using another wormer, with a different active ingredient, the worms won't be tolerant of it & will die.

I'd speak to your vet & raise your concerns.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:58 »
That's a good point,spottymint. Never thought about resistant worms, so we need to look at the chemical vermicides in the different brands so we can change them if necessary.

Mahooli

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:39 »
I've had a few wormy dogs this year. Fleas can carry tapeworm if that is the problem then keeping the fleas in check will help with that. If it is round worm then they are readily in the environment as they are carried by many wild species.
As someone has said they can develop a resistance so rotating the brands of wormer really helps with that. Use Drontal (or it's very much cheaper generic form), Panacur and Milbemax (unless you dogs are collies and collie crosses as Milbemax is potentially fatal to them) and also Advocate which is a spot on for fleas and worms (again not suitable for collie and collie types)
It's something you just have to live with unfortunately!
Becky

xx
worms

Started by audrey padmore on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 03:23
by Trillium
xx
Problems with two new rabbits.

Started by ianl on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 15:40
by Trillium
xx
Just old age or behaviour problems.

Started by Lardman on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2023, 09:43
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 39 queries.