Qualcast Cultimatic De luxe cultivator / rotavator - pulley sizes Please help!

• 67 Replies

Gardener1

Hi Mike
Thanks for trying it.  That is what I feared:(  I had expected it to turn....
I will check the chain when it next stops raining.  I went in to Eastern Bearings and they weren't very helpful - the old timer, very knowledgeable and quick - wasn't there and the person who was said they didn't do oilite bushes which surprised me.  I know where I can get them but only if I can get it to turn.
I have a 24" stilson on order for something else so maybe that will work!

smud6ie

If it were me I don't think i would be worrying about finding bearings etc until everything was free and turning.
If the fire was hot enough to melt the PB bearings in the pulley  then there may also be others melted inside the chain case which are proventing the shaft from turning.
Another think to consider,has the heat taken the temper out of and softened the high stress/wear parts in the chaincase.?
smud6ie

Mr C.

Vic,
If you're quick, there's one on ebay. Before you get too excited, it looks to me like a model without reverse and it has a slightly different engine & petrol tank layout. But everything else looks the same and the seller says that it's been standing in a shed for three years. The engine turns but he hasn't tried to start it, so selling for spares or repair. So the starting bid is twenty quid and no bids on it as yet.
It's in Bristol and ends on 13th May, but if you're interested the item number is 200756398726.

It's misspelled on the title as "Qualcast Rotovator"

Good luck,
Mike

Gardener1

Hi Mike
Thanks foe the heads up.  It is the forward only Suffolk engined one.  Pity
I received my 24" stilson yesterday.  Applied it to the vee pulley boss.  It did turn in the end but the slasher shaft doen't turn so I suspect the chain broke!
Mind put my angle grinder to work to cut open the chain case.
Surprised they dont make it easier.....

Mr C.

I know Bristol is a long way away, but I would have thought that the one for sale would make an ideal chassis & drive system to build up from and convert back into a deluxe?
You'd solve all your chain drive, handlebar and other problens with one fell swoop.

Just a thought.

Mr C.

Hi Vic,
I've got my reverse pulley back and assembled on the machine. It's still not ready for testing because the reverse drive belt is now too stretched from working the smaller friction disk to work the new bigger one. So I've had to order a new belt.

I've taken a few photos of the assembly which I can post if you want, but you may not need them as I've found you a complete machine (same model) sitting at Gateshead Lawnmower Centre.
The guys there are brilliant and really interested in keeping these old machines going - they took all of ATCO's & Qualcasts' old stock when they were taken over by Bosch.
As far as new parts go, they have only belts and idle pulleys left, but they have taken this old Deluxe model as a job lot of part exchange.

They won't break the machine for parts as then it's no good to anybody. It's been sat outside for a long time and is rusty, but they say it's hardly done any work in its' life and nothing on it is worn - it could do with a shot blast and paint for the rust though.
They reckon the engine is dead as there is no spark plug in it so mother nature has got inside, and there are a few bits of the carb missing.

They will take around £30 for the whole thing and are happy to send you pictures of it so you can see what's what. I reckon it's worth the trip or a courier for you.
They are on 0191 4692020.

Let me know if you decide against it as I might be interested myself for spares at that price.

All the best,
Mike

Gardener1

Hi Mike
Thats great! I am interested.  I found like mine one on ebay starting at 0.99.  Asked the seller if they would give me a Buy-It-Now at£30.  She agreed but someone got in before me!! I'll be tempted to ask someone to sell off ebay...
I will contact them
I went in to my local Ferodo service agent who said they didn't fit flat linings there but used a firm in Norwich.  I went there today and they offered me a piece of Ferodo lining for £5.  They confirmed it was asbestos free.  The piece was Ferodo 3921 10mm thick  I said I would first wait to see if I could get the axle to move! 
I know I can machine it OK first using a cirular hole cutter then a morticer to cut the rectangular hole and a fret saw to cut the circular hole.  So I will first check out the one you have mentioned.  Could you email me their email address as a pm as I am a bit deaf
Thanks
Vic

Gardener1

Hi Mike
Found it on the net and have emailed them
Thanks

Gardener1

Hi Mike
They sent me pics.  It doesn't look too bad but they have upped the price to £50 and it isn't the DeLuxe model.  I will keep looking for one locally

KP

Hi Gardener 1

Would it be possible for you to add some more photos of the pulley area of your Qualcast. I have one here which has been bodged many times and would like to see how the drive cables/springs attach properly. I am having difficulty like yourself without a handbook.

Thanks

Kev

Gardener1

Hi Kev
See page 1
Vic

KP

Hi

I can't quite see how the main forward drive cable is attached on that pic, the belt is in the way. I am sure there are bits missing on mine.

Thanks

Kev

Gardener1

There are 2 models.  One has a forward and reverse as in picture.  Perhaps yours is the one without the reverse but with 2 speeds.  If it is there are two vee pulleys beside each other.  You change the position of the belt at front and rear

KP

I have the delux model with forward and reverse. It is the way the cables attach which is what I am trying to find out. I am pretty sure there is something missing on mine.

Thanks

Kev

Gardener1

Hi Kev
I do hate this site!
That is the second time I have written a post and attached 2 pics only to be told they are too large.  So I reduced them and posted it again and got a message that it was a duplicate yet I have no copy and have received no email.  It is not in my list of posts either.:(
Sorry no time to do the commentary again, hope the attached pics help
Cables1.JPG
Cables2.JPG

xx
my qualcast cultimatic?

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

53 Replies
Last post September 26, 2007, 22:13
by new_2_veg
clip
Qualcast Cultimatic Oil Level

Started by michael8554 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2017, 09:45
by R Tallentire
xx
Qualcast cultimatic help needed

Started by qualcast novice on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 21:54
by qualcast novice
xx
qualcast cultimatic b66 rotovator

Started by hammers07 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2008, 18:25
by shaun

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 39 queries.