seed suppliers

• 22 Replies

garddwr

seed suppliers
« on: October 24, 2008, 11:35 »
I have been ordering 2009 seed catalouges and I am confused over which supplier to go for ?

Thompson and Morgan look good but they are expensive.

I am keen on Dobies as they have a large variety and are quite cheap.

Suttons are a little more expensive after Dobies but I've been told Dobies are Suttons in disguise ?

And I have a local wilkinsons store which have a great gardening section, the seeds are very very cheap compared to the big seed companies.

So I am puzzled. Can anyone recomend any seed company that they have used in the list above or not ? I would love to hear any info!

The other thing is germination rates, there is no point in buying cheap seeds then half of them not germinating then you miss the time to sow.

The last thing is the end quality of the vegetables. Would there  be a difference in taste,storing,yields e.t.c between the 39p seed packet or the £2.99 packet ?

Sorry for a long post hope anyone can help !
Thanks

peapod

• Pea Goddess
seed suppliers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:39 »
Im a wilkos girl  :D
As im new to growing veg I havent yet looked into growing specific varieties, so am happy for now with the normal selection they offer.
I also look at dobies, but there are others as you have pointed out. I do get the catalogues, for my winter reading, but always go back to wilkos.

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
seed suppliers
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 11:44 »
I've used them all over the years, never really had much problem with germination rates to be honest, poor germination can probably traced back to poor sowing techniques in 90% of cases IMHO.

There is a statutory germination rates that all commercial seeds must attain before being sold which I thinks about 85%

If you just want run of the mill standard varieties go for Wilko's you won't go far wrong.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

woodburner

seed suppliers
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:29 »
Wilko's are fine. I got most of my seeds from them last year but they don't do a lot of things, and not much choice of varieties of the things they do do. I got most of the odd things that I wanted from Dobies, next year I will be getting them from Suttons via our local gardeing club, as we get a substantial discount if we get a large enough order together. I never heard of them being the same company but Kings and Suffolk Herbs are, though their ranges are not the same. (Nor, I think, are Suttons and Dobies.)

Kings and Suffolk herbs are both good for hard to find stuff imho.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

noshed

seed suppliers
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:40 »
You get quite big packets at Edwin Tuckers
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

compostqueen

seed suppliers
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 13:27 »
Suttons, Dobies are the same. T&M, Fothergills and Browns are one of the same.  Kings and Suffolk Herbs are the same but have different, interesting catalogues.  I like Seeds of Italy and they have fat packets as do Tuckers.  An interesting supplier is Real Seeds who only sell varieties that can be saved, no hybrids at all  :D

Oh forgot to say, that Wilko seed is fine. I got marvellous sweetcorn crop from a packet of 26p seeds.  Lidl seeds are fine too but not a great choice but for the bog standard stuff they're ok. I've noticed that the packets aren't as fat as they used to be, thinking of marigolds

Bombers

seed suppliers
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 15:22 »
I don't wish to tempt fate but, Iv'e never had any bad experiences
with 'Cheapo' seeds.  :roll:  I got a load of Fothergills/Suttons stuff sold off cheap last year (Focus DIY Closing down sale anything for 40/50p a pack), and I forgot to buy any Sweetcorn, and ended up getting a pack from B&Q - Brilliant they were!  :)  I'm always on the lookout for special offers, and don't like to pay full price if I can help it.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

gingercharlie

seed suppliers
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 15:53 »
got all my seeds from wilkos this year,no problems with any of them.

breathecosse

seed suppliers
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 16:00 »
Real seeds and Kings seeds have been good for me.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
seed suppliers
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 16:06 »
I've used wilco's seeds and they are fine. Look on the back of the pack of cheap seeds, if its made in kennett, newmarket, chances are its something to do with fothergills.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

woodentop

seed suppliers
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 19:21 »
I have had several bad experiences with T&M. The customer service is awful. The seeds may be ok but Wilko are great if a bit limited in choice for something "different"

Nogger

• Experienced Member
seed suppliers
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 19:30 »
:) i have just received this supplier for seed ,see what you think.
https://www.alanromans.com/
ray

Runnerbean

seed suppliers
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 20:42 »
I was told about this company a couple of months ago and from what i can gather they have a link to Thomson and Morgan.  I will definately use them this year,  50p a packet for a good range of seeds,  80p for bigger things like peas and beans.  The seed potatoes are very well priced as well.
The only downside is they come with no sowing or planting instructions, but these are on the website so you can easily print them off ( or write them down if your printer is broken, like mine!! :x  :x  :x )
I reckon i will save loads by using them, i just hope they grow well.
Finally got the space, now just nead the girls!!

wighty

seed suppliers
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 20:45 »
Well I use Fothergills as it is what I sell in my shop.  I just help myself to whatever I want  and plant it.  It is technically my own money I'm spending so why not?

Minty

• Experienced Member
seed suppliers
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 21:03 »
In our limited experience so far we have had great results from Dobies and Unwins,Our site shop also offers a 20% discount on Dobies stuff so we'll be using a lot of their stuff in the future.

We've also got the free Suttons seeds to use that we have just recieved this week with John's brilliant book :D

We did put some Wilko's spinich and dwarf french beans in when we first got the plot but the results were very disapointing but it might be more like Richy says and it might be down to our inexperience than cheap seeds.

xx
Seed suppliers

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 18:37
by sunshineband
xx
Seed suppliers

Started by The Red Baron on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 12:55
by J_B
xx
Seed Suppliers.

Started by Steve.P on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 23:54
by Steve.P
xx
Veg seed suppliers

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 30, 2011, 14:30
by DD.

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 39 queries.