Seed tape?

• 2 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Seed tape?
« on: April 15, 2010, 13:03 »
I bought some seeds from Lidl yesterday I only wanted the cucumber seeds but they came with dill to and are all on seed tape. I have never used it before so was wondering if anyone could advise me also will I be able to tell the cucumber apart from the dill so I only end up with the cucumber?

I hope that all makes sense?

Many hanks Nicky xxx

Allotment Jon

Re: Seed tape?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 13:42 »
Trying to look smart I was going to say that cucumber seeds are a flat oval shape as I planted some at the weekend only to find out just both seeds are simular in shape.

Your only solution may be to plant both and when the little plants appear seperate them.

Sorry not much help

Jon

sclarke624

Re: Seed tape?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 14:00 »
Cucumber seed is much bigger than dill, as big as an orange pip but flatter and cream colour.  Dill small as small as tom seed brown with cream border and smells lovely like aniseed from a foil packet anyway.

By second set of leaves you will be able to tell as they are very different, Cucumber leaf is broad and wide and a bit like tom leave, dill is feathery and fine. 

Have a look at some seed packets for leaves, they may not show much except a cuck on the cucumber seeds but the dill will show you what the leaves look like.  Distinctly different.

Don't chuck the dill its really  nice put it in a pot on the window sill.  Cut off the feathery leaves and use for flavouring dishes.  Some people use the seed heads (once grown) for falvouring pickles, but says on my packet only if grown outdoors, maybe you don't get a seed head indoors, I never have.  If yu are planting the dill outdoors make sure its not rampant like mint.
HTH
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Seed tape

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 16:27
by digby
xx
seed tape

Started by wilbzfishing on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 19:46
by wilbzfishing
xx
Seed Tape

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2019, 10:03
by mumofstig
xx
Seed Tape

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 11, 2019, 17:20
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 38 queries.