disappointed with Chelsea programme

• 11 Replies

mrs bouquet

disappointed with Chelsea programme
« on: May 20, 2020, 11:35 »
Have watched this for a couple of evenings, but last night gave up and went into the garden.    The whole programme IMO, seems to feature a brief time of plants, gardens, etc, and the rest of the time is looking at the presenters.     Can we please just look at the flowers etc, not their faces.   Has anybody else noticed this ?
Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: disappointed with Chelsea programme
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 13:23 »
Having once been to the Chelsea Flower Show, it was so overwhelming with the masses of crowds and the so-perfect plants that I got a migraine and stayed a while in a rescue tent. Never again will I go there because my own garden is enough for me to enjoy how it grows and seeds around.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 14:46 »
Back in the seventies, I worked for a company which made precast concrete kerbs, slabs, drainage etc. It was best known for motorways etc., and was the largest supplier in the country. We were 'Charcon', and the 'Derbyshire' flags and channels were the best ever!

We then branched out into garden decorations, like small 18" square slabs, coloured walling etc, and it was a fabulous time for all of us, as we also sold to garden centres etc, and met some lovely buyers, and also some gorgeous people working out in the yards. I loved it all! The DIY stores were also just getting going so we had a marvellous market to work in!

One particular garden designer used to take a stand at Chelsea, and chose our coloured precast stone for the landscaping. When the great days arrived, we'd all do several stints on the stand, hand out info stuff, and let the kids in for their photos from their proud family, and I just loved every minute of it all! We got several prizes, and saw lots of famous names too. I went there several years on the trot, and was so lucky to be involved for all that time.

On the final day of Chelsea, there's a huge sell-off, when all the stall-holders get rid of the stock they've used during the week. I can easily remember staggering back to my car in Battersea Park, around nine o'clock in the evening, with a bin-bag crammed to the top with plants, shrubs, flowers etc, and bringing them home. There was so much for just a few quid, that we actually 'created' a 'Chelsea Garden' at home, and kept cuttings from all the shrubs for years!

In fact, we think that we still have some euonymous here, which may well be grandchildren from all those years ago...

Fantastic years back then, but I had to move on eventually - supermarket roofs paid more...:0.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 16:44 »
We used to go each year, but the crowds and the whole thing just became too overwhelming.  We started going to the Hampton Court Show when it first started, and we absolutely loved it.   You can buy there and then, go into the talks, stroll around, take a picnic, or go to one of the many places with lovely lunches and afternoon teas.  We always went in the car, and as I have a blue badge, we had a reserved space in a very nearby carpark.     Off early, stay late and spend lots of money.    Nothing like a good impulse buy, except when it is a marble statue, but the porters take it all to the car.   I shall have to consider going by coach next year.  Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 18:45 »
Is the huge grape-vine at Hampton Court still going, Mrs B?

Mrs Growster and I spent a night of our honeymoon close by there back in 1972, but that's a different story..:0)

I can remember that the room was incredibly hot... (too much heating for October, ..;0)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 20:10 »
I love Malvern show, just the right size, lovely setting. No need to travel to the smoke!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 21:40 »
I love Malvern show, just the right size, lovely setting. No need to travel to the smoke!

Just up the road from me as well which always helps!

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:30 »
that name rings a bell Growster in the building trade [charcon] and having to been to Chelsea a lovely day out but very crowded actually to crowded for me spent a few hours there and then when it got rammed came home

Malvern once again very nice day out for both the spring and Autumn shows  not to far to travel by car from here not to crowded weekdays good parking plenty to see

the Chelsea program some good some bad plenty of presenters talking gardening more than actually spending time on plants I'm not really into garden design so its not appealing to me I'm more into traditional design gardens but that's me i suppose there trying to keep the spirit of Chelsea alive and hopefully it will come back to life next year

on this subject i though gardeners world was getting a bit better this year but a bit of a knock back loosing Nigel its really sad not seeing old Nigel pottering about but there you go that's life

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 10:05 »
Is the 'Three Counties Show' still going Guys?

Used to be huge back when we were more local...!

Sadly, The Kent Show has been cancelled - sob - what a fabulous day that is!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 10:20 »
Yep Three Counties is still going strong (not this year obviously). Always a good day out for the family.

al78

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 10:48 »
We used to go each year, but the crowds and the whole thing just became too overwhelming.

A bit like the Lewes bonfire then.

There seems to be a thing in the UK of one-upmanship, as though everything has to be a competition, and major events have to be bigger and better than ever. This is not sustainable, and inevitably it gets too big and/or too expensive to manage properly. The high population density in the SE with the inevitable ramming full of people exasperates the problems. In the case of the Lewes bonfire, when authorities have to prevent anyone from traveling too and entering the town on the night, that is a very big sign that it has got out of hand, unfortunately as with most things, emotion trumps logic.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 12:00 »
Is the huge grape-vine at Hampton Court still going, Mrs B?

Mrs Growster and I spent a night of our honeymoon close by there back in 1972, but that's a different story..:0)

I can remember that the room was incredibly hot... (too much heating for October, ..;0)

There is a lady who works there and her job is solely to look after the grapevine.   When you go later you can buy bunches from them.

I am sure that your honeymoon is a different story  -   room incredibly hot indeed  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:  Mrs B

xx
Chelsea

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post September 25, 2021, 07:27
by GraciesGran
xx
RHS Chelsea 2018

Started by DD. on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 08:12
by rowlandwells
xx
Disappointed !

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2018, 12:10
by mrs bouquet
xx
Help with tv programme

Started by RubyRed on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post February 04, 2019, 19:46
by RubyRed

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 47 queries.