very soggy garden

• 9 Replies

chrissie B

very soggy garden
« on: November 07, 2016, 20:05 »
Thinking hats on folks my new garden isnt draining and aparently all the gardens around arnt either so far as we can see  the soil is very heavy , the grass has been raised and could do with some holes in the edging but around hte shed is a huge puddle with no where to go and i dont know what to do help please
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: very soggy garden
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:26 »
If the drainage is that bad, one option would be land drains or a soakaway, but you need to have a dig down in a few spots and see what you have.

There are some gardens around the Reading area where there is a heavy and solid layer of blue clay under the surface.  The only option in those is to dig it out and replace with decent top soil   :(

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 14:56 »
Thanks new shoot i will investigat that idea , yesterday when we went it looked like the shed was floating it had its own moat and they have paved some of the garden as well , next door had a huge puddle outside their gate and their garden is all gravel and flags alot had drain away today hubby stuck a pole into the wettest part and it was quite claggy .
chrissie b

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 12:44 »
A lot depends what the soil is like a few feet down. We had really solid clay in Crewe. I dug holes where the puddles were and put a mix of gravel and broken tiles from the kitchen refurb in before re-filling with decent soil. Along the border, which was the wettest bit, I trenched and re-filled the same way.

Land drains and proper soakaways are a lot of work but the half job sorted the problem.

I don't know how big your garden is but willows do well in wet soil and their roots soak up a lot.

Your neighbour's slabs just push the water to another spot and gravel allows it through too quickly. Don't under-estimate the power of grass roots to soak up and slow water.

Incidentally, where we are now in Wales, we had a rainstorm (so unusual in Wales to have rain :) ) and even the land drain installed behind the cowsheds was overwhelmed. I'm now planting banks of trees uphill to help with wind mainly but also water.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 08:18 »
Thanks john i will try it we will have people in the house in 3,4 weeks time dunt want to get too messy but theres a particular area next to the shed where we could dig a hole and see whats down there and ive got nice loose soil in my garden i can use. The bit by the shed you need a snorkle when its rained , thank you
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 22:25 »
Ive been digging through my compost bins and there is a massive lump of worms in the middle and my thought were could i take some of these worms and sprinkle them over my heavy soil and grass area would they improve my soil over time and if so could i do this before it gets too cold and not to sure if the soil would be to heavy going for them.
chrissie b.  :mellow: ;) :
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 22:27 by chrissie B »

Beekissed

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 00:47 »
Wood chips...a thick layer of wood chips of around 4-6 in. should about do it.  Letting that compost in place will build new topsoil on your existing soil, will soak up excess moisture and store it for when you need it most and will provide rich nutrients for your plants as the years go by.  Don't have anything to lose, from what I can figure. 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 10:59 »
Worms are great but they need organic matter to live on so they're unlikely to do well on heavy, compact clay where there is no food for them.

For a lawn where the soil is compacted underneath the best answer is to use a hollow tine fork and brush coarse sand into the holes. Unless you're willing to dig it all up and start again :)

Woodchip does rot down to a nice humus but is hardly nutrient rich! It absorbs nitrogen in the early stages as well. That's why I use it for paths, it suppresses growth and eventually is dug in to improve soil.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 17:53 »
Your big clump of worms have clumped together to keep warm, so I wouldn't sprinkle them around, also if they're in your compost bin they're likely to be branding worms not earth worms.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 20:07 »
Im not up on what worms they are but they have made me some good compost and the clump is bigger than a foot ball the thing is imnot going to be living in the house for a few years so i wont be able to keep tabs on it and dont have time to do anything that will take too much time , i will just keep going over with a fork till i get a tennant in there , thanks for the help i will keep it in mind.
Chrissie b

xx
Soggy bits to burn

Started by Paul Plots on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 11:54
by mrs bouquet
xx
New garden

Started by Asherweef on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 12:26
by Goosegirl
xx
wet garden

Started by peanut on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 07:05
by Rangerkris
xx
Dry Garden

Started by catllar on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 12:55
by catllar

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 39 queries.