What Apple & Pear Tree For An Allotment

• 6 Replies

smudger28

« on: September 09, 2008, 21:16 »
Hi guys

I need some advice on a semi dwarf variety of apple or pear.

The problem is there aren't many trees on the allotment yet.  My wife really likes Braburn apples but this would need a similar tree for pollination?

We have a 90ft x 30ft allotment and would like to place one of each on our patch.

Can someone please point us in the right direction.  We would like to cordon them as this apparently takes up less space.

Please help!

Thanks

Paul

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 21:22 »
Hello Paul and welcome to the forum.

Take a look at this website; it is a really useful one that can point you in the right direction with types and when they flower as well as whether they are self sterile and therefore need another tree to pollinate from or if they are self fertile, in which case you'll only need the one.

HTH
Su

SG6

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 21:36 »
Paul, I have about 10 apple trees in my garden (lost track). They are all on M27 rootstock, so get about 6ft high. M9 gets to about 9ft M26 say 10-12ft. I had the varieties I chose grafted by Brogdale - National Apple Collection.

Where about in the country are you?

An alternative may be Ken Muir, he sells columar apples. Basically an 8ft fruit stick that has about 4ins branches. Not sure how good these really are. I have a columnar Williams to polinate an asian pear and it does a good job of that. But no Willaims pears as there is nothing to pollinate the Williams, but I didn't get it to bear fruit, just to pollinate.

smudger28

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 21:42 »
Hi guys

Thanks for the replies.

We are in sunny Cornwall :lol:

I will check out the sites...

Paul

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 22:10 »
i have been watching a preogramme on uktv gardens called something like "the old country garden" and what they did was make the boughs point down to create more fruit this way you can trim the height without worry. the old ways are the best! :lol:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:23 »
We were very lucky in finding an old style nursery man who advised us on fruit trees suited to our local climate. There are not many of these around mind you.

Most garden centres sell the bog standard, well known brands that customers buy because the staff are not trained to advise and the customers only want to buy the brands they know from the supermarket.

So you need to find local knowledge dating back over the years. Not all types do well in all areas.

Johndeb

• Ashridge Nurseries
What Apple and Pear
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:40 »
Depends a bit on whether there are other fruit trees on other plots.  If there are then you probably don't have to worry too much about pollination and youcan shoose almost any varieties.  If there are not then you will either need to provide a pollinator, or buy self fertile varieties.  There is a huge choice, but there is a pretty good list of fruit trees here along with clear pollination advice (well I could understand it anyway!)

Good luck
Good luck
John

xx
Help problems with apple and pear tree

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 09:43
by aubergine
xx
apple and pear tree from aldi

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 10:49
by moose
xx
apple / pear tree cuttings

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 11:15
by shedmeister
xx
Apple and Pear tree planting advice

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2007, 21:18
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 35 queries.