hatching concern-advice needed quickly

• 2 Replies

redspookycooky

hatching concern-advice needed quickly
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:02 »
my first egg piped, think thats the word, last night about 9pm when i got up this morning, 8am, the hole is only a little bit bigger, how long will it take to fully hatch and should i be concerned its taking this long?

Chickway

Re: hatching concern-advice needed quickly
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:58 »
Good morning, I am a newbie to hatching but had my first hatch last weekend and one took ages to hatch and when I went to give a little assistance the membrane was like leather so there was no way he would of managed himself.  Both the man that supplied me the eggs and the vet said that if they do take a little while to hatch to help with the humidity and to keep the egg moist spray a little water on the egg.  I have more hatching today hopefully and two have pipped and if they take too long I will definately give them a little spray of water.  I suppose you must be careful not to open the incubation unit to much to do this as you will affect the humidity too much. 

The one that I had to assist last weekend was wobbly on his legs for 4 days and kept falling over and could not get back up, I was very worried that I had done the wrong thing helpig him out but now I cant tell which one it was, so im very happy.

Good luck its all very exciting.
Chickway.

Casey76

Re: hatching concern-advice needed quickly
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 13:26 »
It can take up to 24 hours from pip to zip (hatch)

At the moment the chick will be absorbing the remaining yolk, and the veins in the membrane will be retracting, so sit on your hands  :wacko: do not touch the incubator.  Ensure the humidity is high (between 60 and65% if you can manage it), and resist the temptation to "help"  at this stage, if you open the incubator it can happen that the humidity will drop and the membrane will dry out "shrink wrapping" the chick.

For me, it helps to get out ouf the house lol!

I also have one of my 10 eggs pipping, but I know from last year, that if I "help" more often than not you end up killing the chick :(

xx
hatching advice needed

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 11:07
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Advice needed on hatching with a broody hen please...

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 14:41
by Chuckiemum
xx
Hatching duck eggs advice needed

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2012, 16:55
by joyfull
xx
need advice quickly

Started by dawne on The Hen House

39 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 12:15
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 39 queries.