URGENT HELP NEEDED!

• 6 Replies

fenella

URGENT HELP NEEDED!
« on: December 16, 2010, 07:05 »
Our toff landlords are insisting on shooting in our chicken fields, despite our desperate pleas to not terrify our birds on top of everything else they have had to out up with from the weather. Now my partner and I can't decide whether to let the birds out on the shooting days.

The situation on the ground is that the toff and his toff mates will be in the chicken fields with their dogs, in some cases only a few yards from the houses, shooting at birds being driven over the field from an adjoining wood. My partner says we shouldn't let the birds out at all due to the risk of them being chased by the dogs, being shot or flying away, but I think if we shut them in we risk them panicking and either piling up in a corner and suffocating, or flying up against the vents and breaking their necks. Does anyone have any experience of this or advice? Two sheds are populated by point of lay, and so are quite flighty birds.

Don't get me started on the rights and wrongs of the landlord, I am seething that someone who expects rent could do this to my business (we will have to close to the public on the one chance most people will have before Christmas to stock up, or buy hens for loved ones), especially after the terrible weather we have had.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:34 »
I wouldn't let my chickens out in the open if there was strange dogs and shooting happening in that field. In your contract does it say you have sole use of this field or are you there on a more relaxed basis? At work our landlord has about a dozen days shooting around us and we are notified of all the dates before they start so we can make sure if we have any animals with us we can keep them out of harms way. Another solution would be to make some fencing panels that you can erect (fasten together the wood and wire panels using tie wraps) that you can use as temporary runs. Gun dogs tend to be very well behaved (their training does take several years - so younger dogs may be a little bit excitable) so if your birds are behind their fence they should be fine. The bangs shouldn't be a problem - fireworks aren't.
Just a note:- not all who shoot are toffs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:17 »
I wouldn't let my chickens out in the open if there was strange dogs and shooting happening in that field. In your contract does it say you have sole use of this field or are you there on a more relaxed basis? At work our landlord has about a dozen days shooting around us and we are notified of all the dates before they start so we can make sure if we have any animals with us we can keep them out of harms way. Another solution would be to make some fencing panels that you can erect (fasten together the wood and wire panels using tie wraps) that you can use as temporary runs. Gun dogs tend to be very well behaved (their training does take several years - so younger dogs may be a little bit excitable) so if your birds are behind their fence they should be fine. The bangs shouldn't be a problem - fireworks aren't.
Just a note:- not all who shoot are toffs.
Good advice Joyfull :). You would have no worry's of your chuck's being shot they don't fly high enough ;). The dog's may think the chuck's are runner's and pick them up though. If you ask the shoot captain for the land owner I'm shaw they'd give you a time when they're shooting in your field. As Joyfull say's not all shooting people are toff's. I don't shoot but i do work my lab on a few shoot's AND I'M FAR FROM A TOFF!!!!. Just abit of adive just because someone speak's the Queen's English doesn't make them a bad person ;).

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 09:04 »
As Joyful has already said - Check what you agreed to in your contract.

As far as i understand, if you rent something from someone they have to have an agreement with you to enter, even though they own it.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:23 »
Shooting rights can be held separate to any sale or rental agreement of the land.
Best to keep the hens in while any working dogs are in the vicinity.
IMO (and probably your toff landlord) your hen business needs new premises if the shooting is a problem.

fenella

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:56 »
Thanks for the advice, we'll keep them in. Just hope the DEFRA egg man doesn't wander by to check our free range hens really are!

They are toffs, I've met 'em, it's not in the accent but the attitude. This is not a farmers' shoot!  I have no problem with the shooting - when we had a break from keeping hens it wasn't an issue at all - I just object to it impacting on my business, and the complete lack of thought given to us and our livestock.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 10:07 »
... but is their right to shoot over the land you rent written into your contract and do they give you good notice of when the shoots are scheduled ?

That's the crux of the matter !

xx
urgent help needed!!!!

Started by rach312 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 11:51
by rach312
xx
urgent help needed

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

100 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 10:28
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
urgent help needed

Started by purplebat on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 14:41
by xx bluey xx
xx
Urgent Help needed

Started by Hooee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 20:25
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 36 queries.