Housing advice please

• 4 Replies

mark12mr55

Housing advice please
« on: December 16, 2009, 14:37 »
I have just read a bit in another thread about them being 'naughty girls' for sleeping in their nest boxes, Why is this bad? To keep down the noise of the cockerel, mine sleep in a lockable nest box inside my shed would they be better on perches? If so i will have to line the shed as it's not as dry and draft free as it ought to be.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: Housing advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 15:28 »
I think I made the 'naughty girl' comment Mark.

I said it as if they sleep in nesting boxes they poo in them then if they lay eggs in said box, you get dirty eggs.  Not nice.

I 'trained' my girls by going along each night just after they roosted and put them onto the perch.  They got the hang of it after about 2 weeks!

as for draughts, my shed is an overlap type and a bit draughty so I have put some cardboard along the inside just for the winter, around where the perches are.

It's your choice tho, as I sell a lot of eggs I think it nicer for the customers to have cleaner eggs.  :)
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Beano

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 15:39 »
I hate to admit it but I have allowed ours to sleep in the nestboxes.
I think the main problem is that the eggs get mucky. I have to change the nesting material every week, which isn't a bad thing when you think about it.
El.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:22 »
Are you sure that they can get easily onto the perches? Our first group perched automatically and when we rebuilt the shed, we made the same access room for them plus extra length on the perches. Having just got four more (Thanks to Tricky - pictures and info soon - promise) we realise that although the new ones are warrens as are the original group, they are much bigger (whatever did you feed them on - steroids?). This didn't seem a problem itself and when we found poo in the nest box we assumed that it was the settling down stress problem. When I lifted all the birds onto the perches they were fine and slept there; there was no mess in the nesting box.  I've suddenlt realised that maybe the larger birds have trouble getting up onto the perches. Perches and layout being altered today. In all other ways, birds now seem happy and are getting integrated. Will update.

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 19:54 »
Hi - an update.
Today lowered one of the perches. At bedtime all the girls went in as on previous days, but today they were all on the perches without any help and snuggled up. I've posted for help on attaching pictures of their mansion.

xx
Wanting to get a few hens and need housing advice

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 05, 2006, 09:14
by John
xx
Housing Runner Ducks any advice?

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 17:51
by Foxy
xx
Housing and Laying advice for a novice

Started by Gerty333 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 10:13
by Gerty333
xx
chicken breed temperament advice & housing (orpingtons?)

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 13:21
by jo40

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.