New hens

• 21 Replies

ActionFlack

New hens
« on: June 26, 2013, 21:44 »
A long last I have my new hens :)
I'm settling them in, in a new enclosure to start with before letting them get into their free range pen (aprox 5mx7m I think).
I have 2 apenzellers, 1 copper French Maran and a crested cream legbar (I think I spelt all of those right!). Once they are all established I'm planning to get a rescue hen or two to join them.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

ActionFlack

Re: New hens
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 21:45 »
Oh and the dog seems to like them too!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 22:03 »
What lovely hens ActionFlack.   :)

What is it in their run?  It looks like compost material, if it is it would be best to remove it.  Decomposing matter will contain mould spores which are bad for chickens.  If there is old grass cuttings they should also be removed as if eaten they can start to ferment in their crop.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 22:06 »
Don't want to upset the applecart, but appenzellers are free spirits.  They hate being confined.  Mine (especially the cockerel) went loopy at being confined.  I re-homed them in the end.

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 22:07 »
Don't want to upset the applecart, but appenzellers are free spirits.  They hate being confined.  Mine (especially the cockerel) went loopy at being confined.  I re-homed them in the end.

Well they say you learn something new each day, I didn't know that GA.   ;)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 22:13 »
They look lovely.  :)
How old are the little ones?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 22:14 by JaK »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 22:18 »
They are lovely birds, but there is only so much talons at dawn a person can take!   :lol:  I tried cuddling him, dunking him in a bucket of cold water, treats when I went in the run.

My runs didn't have roofs, and he easily flew out of a 6ft high run.  But he was happy in the garden, but still hated us!

Mind you, out of 30 eggs incubated successfully, as far as I'm aware, he only fathered one cockerel!  Because I used to give people their money back if they brought them back here!
our Appenzeller trio 001 (480 x 360).jpg

ActionFlack

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:32 »
Thanks for the advice. There's some grass cuttings (sun dried) with twigs etc. I thought it was best to give them something to scratch around in whilst (temporarily) confined to the pen/cage. Is there something I can use on the flooring for now that is safe and easy to come by? Maybe straw?
I'm hoping the Appenzeller's will be happy with the space in the main run once they're out there, plus there's lots for them to explore - there's a fallen tree trunk and in making a low level branch to walk along amongst other entertainment and food sources (pots for snails to hide under that i'll upturn periodically).

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:35 »
I have wood chips on the floor of my run....also have wood chips covering what was a lawn...took 5 girls no time to demolish the lawn to bare earth!  I have the wood chip layer quite deep and they love scratching and digging in it....my run is roofed so once the wood chips are dry and start breaking down a bit, its also excellent stuff for their dust bathing.

ActionFlack

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:58 »
This is the enclosure. I've joined the coup, standing on concrete slabs, to an old dog kennel with really solid wire and solid floor to make sure its completely fox proof. This should give them a little room when not in the main pen - the whole area behind the coup in the 2nd picture. It's all fenced in up to and including the tree stumps (used as fence posts) but I've used some pig netting around the near end which is far too large gapped for them at the moment (not a major problem but they'll keep getting out into the garden which is tricky to chase them around - I've already had a chase related knock to the head!!)

Pictures fixed by Aunty
Image7.jpg
Image8.jpg

ActionFlack

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 10:02 »
Are there not issues with wood chips rotting? Same as with grass cuttings etc?

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 10:52 »
I've not had a problem with it rotting....like i said, my run is roofed so that stays dry...the lawn that was, and is now covered in wood chips, is regularly poo picked, and turned over by myself and the hens.  I give it a sprinkle of Stalosan F occasionally, to keep any smells at bay, and prevent flies etc.  I just top it up occasionally when the hens have broken it down a bit.  i order it from a local tree surgeon, £20.00 for a huge sack.

ActionFlack

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 12:31 »
That sounds good. I may have to give it a try

ActionFlack

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 16:04 »
I've found a use for my strawberry pots that became overrun by weeds... Quite handy 'treat buckets' that I can drop in for them every couple of days :)

Pictures fixed by Aunty
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 16:16 by ActionFlack »

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 16:07 »
Your last 2 posts with photos are showing the photos upside down, can you adjust them?   :lol:

xx
New hens

Started by uba on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 17:00
by j00les
xx
New hens

Started by oborne27 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 21:21
by ANHBUC
exclamation
You'll never believe what my hens just ate!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:01
by graces-chickens
xx
The new hens and getting them to mix

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 10:06
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.