Large plastic chicken coop.

• 19 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Large plastic chicken coop.
« on: November 12, 2012, 14:00 »
I've just about had enough of the red mite battle so looking to replace our coop in the new year. I'm busy selling as much as I can to fund it because buying all these red mite products is costing a small fortune and we just can't continue spending so much.  :mad:

Anyway on a lighter note there is shopping to be done.  :D
I need a large plastic coop that will house 12 hens (a mixture of lf and bantams) I don't need a run though. I'd love a eglu cube but they cost so much, any ideas???

So far I've found this one which I quite like the look of- http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/recycled-shop/pig-poultry/hen-houses/smart-hen-house

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Large plastic chicken coop.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 14:04 »
I don't know anything about those but I know Joy is very pleased with the arc she has.

See if I can find out which one it is.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 14:14 »
Thank you Aunt Sally, I think I prefer the look of the arc too, just need to get my head round the cost  :lol:
I do have a Eglu classic which I could sell but really trying not to because I love it. It's so handy to have spare for broody hens.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 14:22 »
I have had my 2 arks raised to waist height to make cleaning out a lot easier and also changed the plastic wedges that hold the nest boxes in to again make cleaning easier. I replaced these with 1/8th lynch pins.
I also did get some redmites this year hiding in the vent area but being plastic they are so easy to eradicate and 4 months later they have not returned.
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 14:37 »
Raising them is a great idea, my better other half could manage that I expect.  :lol:
Do you find having two next boxes enough Joyfull?

splash101

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 14:40 »
I think it would be a good move to plastic if you are spending a lot of money (and not to mention time) on red mite products, be well worth it long term.

I cant advise you on any plastic houses as im still on wood but i like the look of those arks, they look very roomy, unless they've been clever with their photography.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 18:51 »
I actually have an eglu cube which I bought about five years ago.  I have kept a maximum of 10 hens in it at any one time.  I have never had any problems with red spider mite or any other health issues related to husbandry. 

I specifically went for the eglu as I was a new hen keeper and worried about the maintenance (there was no competitor at the time).   

I find it really easy to clean but don't have experience of wood hen houses (other than my quarantine coop which I only use when introducing new ex-batts for a few weeks at a time to ensure they aren't carrying anything contagious and let them build up a bit before being let loose on the rest of the brood!) 

It was expensive, but I am sure it has saved me a lot of money in buying potions and treatments.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 18:59 »
that is the beauty of plastic - no maintenance and they last for years. I bought my big arks because I live in the countryside and they look like pig arks  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 10:18 »
I actually have an eglu cube which I bought about five years ago.  I have kept a maximum of 10 hens in it at any one time.  I have never had any problems with red spider mite or any other health issues related to husbandry. 

I specifically went for the eglu as I was a new hen keeper and worried about the maintenance (there was no competitor at the time).   

I find it really easy to clean but don't have experience of wood hen houses (other than my quarantine coop which I only use when introducing new ex-batts for a few weeks at a time to ensure they aren't carrying anything contagious and let them build up a bit before being let loose on the rest of the brood!) 

It was expensive, but I am sure it has saved me a lot of money in buying potions and treatments.

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I started out with an eglu cube on the basis of 'if you're going to have one have a big one' and have been delighted with it.
We have 11 in ours at the moment, some big girls and some small girls.

Little red

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 19:50 »
I have an eglu cube which has plenty room for my 7 girls and i love that it is so quick and easy to clean :)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 11:23 »
So I've been looking online and trying to work out what would be the best coop looking at not only cost but internal floor space, this is the list I came up with-

EGLU CUBE 120cm x 85cm £555

SOLWAY SMART HEN HOUSE 103cm  x 91cm £330

SOLWAY ECO HEN ARC 144cm x 111cm £403

ARKUS LARGE CHICKEN HOUSE 100cm X 108cm £350

GREEN FROG DESIGNS MEDUIM LOFT 124cm x 120cm £469

GREEN FROG DESIGNS LARGE CHICKEN HOUSE 141cm x 100cm £389

For my needs I think this seems to come out on top http://www.greenfrogdesigns.co.uk/Chicken-House-Large-p/ch03.htm

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:25 by JaK »

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 11:43 »
if possible go and view the coop before buying then you can be absolutely sure  :)

westview

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 13:28 »
Hi there, I've got a Greenfrog medium Chicken Loft and have had it now for about 18 months.  I've not had one red mite or health problem since it arrived.  I had the automatic door fitted too so it's just the best thing if you need a lie in or not back home til long after dark.  I dont have to worry about my gang when at work anymore - I know they'll be tucked up in their coop with the door closed safely.  For those reasons I would not change back to my wooden coop for anything.  But a note of warning - the downside is that it does leak when we've had a good rainfall.  I did contact Greenfrog who suggested sillicone in certain areas... plus I was told if using woodshavings it makes it worse.  That seems daft as if it's wet its wet far as I'm concerned.  Anyway - its a lot better with the sillicone beading put around all the joins but it is a faff having to do that and something to consider.
All the best! :happy: :happy: :happy:

kebi

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 18:41 »
may not help but i just got my ducks a plastic  dog kennel for under £50 with a little imagination would it not be cheaper to try something like that. would just need to make perches and nesting area  ;)
my little farm :) 13hens, 8 runner ducks,2 bibbed call ducks, lots of quail cpq and japanese, 2 dogs, 1 very old cat and fish indoor and out.

xx
chicken coop &run

Started by bowler on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 20:21
by splash101
xx
Chicken Coop

Started by Humbledoor on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 23:17
by TeaPots
xx
New chicken coop on the way

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 22:06
by JaK
xx
My chicken coop and run

Started by Andee on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 21:55
by tesni

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 34 queries.