It's wet INSIDE my henhouse!

• 17 Replies

Jos Hens

It's wet INSIDE my henhouse!
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:14 »
We recently weatherproofed our beautiful henhouse with Clearseal (as recommended).  Just the whole of the outside, not the inside.  Since then the inside of the house has become wet.  We lay paper on the removable tray then cover that with woodshavings.  After a spate of bad weather it was wet inside - the paper was sodden and the walls felt damp.

To test how waterproof it is we have now covered it completely with plastic sheeting (builders stuff so completely waterproof) - no water can get in at all. We have also lined the removable tray with plastic sheeting. We laid newspaper over the plastic and then wood shavings in top of that.

We did all this last Saturday and it was dry until yesterday lunchtime and again the newspaper was wet. Note that underneath the plastic the tray was completely dry! Do you think it could be the birds causing the damp/wetness - perhaps condensation?

We are at a complete loss as to why this is happening

compostqueen

Re: It's wet INSIDE my henhouse!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:13 »
A good coop should have adequate ventilation as the birds will give off heat during the night  :)  If this was a manufactured coop then it should have built-in ventilation. If not, it's not fit for purpose and you should be able to get your money refunded

You shouldn't have to start drilling holes in it if you've paid good money for it  :(

bainsk8

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:18 »
What compostqueen said. But if you made it yourself is it possible to see some photo's? There maybe another reason. Also you should coat the inside as you will get surface tension and will eventually warp any ship lap or the like, unless its tongue and grooved.
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

Jos Hens

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 13:19 »
It is a manufactured and very well made henhouse from Framebow - who have been very helpful but are also stumped!

Would 7 hens generate that much condensation ...

Any ideas on how to go forward would be appreciated!!  Thanks.

Jos Hens

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 13:21 »
Here's the link for the hen house ...

http://www.framebow.co.uk/chicken-coop-hen-arch-coop.html

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 13:35 »
Very smart lookinh house / run, I think they had one of them on show at the National Poultry Show last year.

Have to admit though I can't see any ventilation holes (I am sure there must be but you can't see from the pictures. I would imagine that 7 hens along with their droppings during the night could cause a fair bit of condensation. I am wondering if the Clearseal is sdtopping the wood 'breathing' if you knowwhat I mean?
Helen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 13:43 »
I'm not sure how they get their figure that this house is big enough for 12 hens as each bird should have a minimum of 12" (30cms) perch space per bird. What is the internal layout? Are the nest boxes internal thus taking up more space.
Please could you take a photo of the internal layout and post it on here so we can say if this is too  small for your birds. But I really do think this is your problem they do give off a lot of warmth and warm breath and being enclosed for longer periods as the days are shorter they need more space and better ventilation.
The run is also too small for 12 birds - it is recommended that the minimum clear run space per bird is 1 square metre per bird and if they are in the run for most of the day then it should be at least 2 square metres per bird (and ideally 3).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jos Hens

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 13:53 »
Hi, they aren't in the run at all! They free range around the garden and within the garden they have a 25ft x 25ft secure area surounded by electric fence so that if there's no-one here during the day they are safe but still have loads of room to scratch around.  There are seven hens altogether - five orpingtons and two smaller hybrids. I'm pretty certain there is enough room inside the house for them all ...

I'll take a photograph of the inside and post it later.  Thanks very much for your help.

bainsk8

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 14:54 »
Lack of ventilation seems likely to be the cause unless there are holes or a vent on the back that I can't see? It would be easy to install. Either by slightly raising the ridge on the roof to create small voids or holes/vent on the back. As already pointed out that would resolve the issue.

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 15:14 »
If you do have to make vent holes make sure they are positioned correctly- you want ventilation without draughts  :)

bainsk8

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 17:01 »
Yes indeed as compostqueen has said you want to place them high and if drilling holes in the back place a downward ledge over them on the outside to stop the wind blowing in directly. Or use a purpose made exterior vent cover either plastic or zinc/aluminium that you can get from a good hardware, DIY retail store.

Jos Hens

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 18:23 »
Thank you all very much.  This afternoon we did as suggested and raised the top of the roof and placed it on wooden blocks then screwed the whole thing down.  We will monitor it over the next couple of days and let you know ... Fingers crossed ... 

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 21:58 »
until we recently bought 3 new hens our woodshavings were dry and easily poo picked, but I noticed the new girls seem to do very wet poo in their separate house. I thought that when they got used to the feed they would dry up a bit but they haven't. The bottom of our big coop is very wet where they roost and I'm having to clean out more. Maybe you have wet poo chickens as well?

Jos Hens

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 17:38 »
Well, the good news is that having raised the top of the hen house - it was completely dry this morning - even the walls were dry!!  Success at last.  Wishing everyone thanks for your help and have a great weekend.  Jo.

bainsk8

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 17:47 »
That's great news Jo, wishing you and your girls a great weekend too.

question
henhouse floor

Started by ychook on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 14:14
by Casey76
xx
Bindweed in the henhouse

Started by SpudtheBinx on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 12:29
by andreadon
xx
Built a DIY henhouse?

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

45 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 16:37
by Porffor
xx
Does it always have to be a henhouse or can it be some other option, too?

Started by Neelam on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 20:41
by nerdle

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 40 queries.