Chicks in with the big girls

• 5 Replies

ktc

Chicks in with the big girls
« on: October 26, 2012, 15:31 »
We have 2 6 week old bantams who are currently living with their foster mum (pekin) in a separate house and run within the main run.  When and how should we integrate them with the big girls (black rock, columbian blacktail and bluebell) ?  They can see and be seen but have not had any contact.  We're about to start moving them onto growers' pellets.  Also, any idea when we might be able to tell what sex they are (hints welcome).

Many thanks

Karen
Karen

Chick Chick

Re: Chicks in with the big girls
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 17:09 »
Hi Karen
I only put mine in with the big girls when they at point of lay and are ready to move onto layers pellets which is dependent on what breed they are

ktc

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 17:52 »
Thanks Chick Chick.  That makes sense.  Should "mum" go back with the others sooner?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:39 »
mine used to all free range and every afternoon I would allow the mum and chicks to range out with the big girls, this way full integration was never a problem. The only reason I kept them separate for part of the day was so that they could fill up on their own food first.
Staffies are softer than you think.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 14:44 »
today we built a run within the big girls run so they can have close contact but the chicks wont get attacked (i know my old girls and how they reacted to new hens earlier this year!)

they will be like that for a good few weeks and during that time we will start to open the gate so they can mix until i am happy they can be together, mine are only 10 weeks and there is no way i could let the big girls near them just yet after the way they treated the 16 week old ones who were a lot bigger. My old girls may just be grumpy though!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

kebi

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 13:03 »
i decided to let mine all out together as the bigger girls were pulling out feathers from my 10 week olds in their small run. now i feel they have more chance to get away. still get the odd feather pulling but no blood shed.
 luckily i introduced the same amount of babies and ducks all at the same time. with so many changes its been ok. i have one hen who will pull everyones feathers so have tried spray today.
kebi
my little farm :) 13hens, 8 runner ducks,2 bibbed call ducks, lots of quail cpq and japanese, 2 dogs, 1 very old cat and fish indoor and out.

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 36 queries.