Rabbit problem...

• 18 Replies

Sweetpea C

Re: Rabbit problem...
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 08:51 »
I have a big rabbit warren in my garden, but have never had any problem at all keeping them out of my veggie beds. I just put some kind of wire fencing around the beds, doesn't have to be high, and that always keeps them out. I'd have to put something around the beds anyway, to stop my dogs from racing through the middle of them. They do far more damage than the rabbits. If you look on Bunty's blog, she reckons all you need to do is lay the bottom of the wire on the ground and put some soil on top of it. I've never buried it in the ground or anything, but if that doesn't work for you try it her way. There's no need to kill them if you don't want to, barricades have always worked for me. I did have one big hole right in the middle of a bed, but I just put some large stones in it to block it and covered it with soil, and it never came back.

Thanks, that sounds like the first course of action, I'll pop up later and start to block a couple of the holes, I do quite fancy sharing the land with them, after all, they were there first!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

ferret1988

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 09:52 »
Snares are fully legal the best way to deal with rabbits are ferrets terriers only mark the holes to tell you there are some there,terriers are commonly used for foxs and rats.

Ask about and get someone with ferrets to come with ferrets and nets to catch the rabbits for you as for payment the rabbits will be payment enough for them :) then just fill the sets in.

I no this to be true as i am a keen hunter i own ferrets and dogs and do rabbt control for many farms in the area.

Atb Chris

ferret1988

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 10:00 »
P.s gasing is not always the best way as this time of year the burrows are been shared with sleeping hedgehogs etc so i would not gas, the ferrets wont bother the hedgehogs either.

as for just digging them out that wont work as they will just sit in the burrows as these can go to 12ft or deeper in sandy soil normly 6ft deepest in normal soil and all they will do is ball up in a stop ender and dig there way out later when the disturbance is over.

Ferrets all the way.

Living in Hope

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 13:20 »
I have a combination of things they don't like to eat: Rhubarb, globe artichoke, rasperrries, potatoes

and everything else with chicken netting round it/tree guards.

xx
Rabbit problem

Started by Fenland Girl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 21:17
by washsaint
xx
Rabbit problem

Started by corndolly on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 10, 2007, 11:37
by corndolly
xx
Rabbit Poo

Started by caliban on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 14:56
by poppies
xx
Pesky rabbit

Started by STIG1963 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 22:11
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 37 queries.