Are squirrels a menace to raised beds?

• 8 Replies

vegebabble

Are squirrels a menace to raised beds?
« on: June 10, 2009, 21:43 »
Hello everyone,

I have 2 raised beds and my lettuce seedlings have been ripped out of the ground because 2 large holes have been dug!!  >:(    I am guessing this is due to squirrels, but I'm not sure.  How can I stop them digging more holes - I think they would chew through any netting, wouldn't they?!

Help urgently required, before more seedlings get dug up!!
Thanks.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
Re: Are squirrels a menace to raised beds?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 22:21 »
How can I stop them digging more holes.

Put them in a pie  ;).

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 22:24 »
Welcome to the site vegebabble  :D

They probably would chew through plastic netting, but you might have more luck by putting wire round / over the plants, and I'd suggest weighting the edges of the wire down with bricks or similar to prevent them getting under it.

I don't know if this would work but it is worth a try.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 22:50 »
You are guessing it's squirrels and I would say that you need to find out for sure.  When you know what the problem is, you can make plans to prevent it. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 00:45 »
And if it is squirrels, then wrap the sides and top with poultry netting. They aren't tough enough to chew through that. If anything, you've probably planted on top of one of their nut stashes.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:58 »
We had large holes dug like you describe and the culprits were fox cubs --- caught 'em at it  :D Worst damage was to a bed of spuds where they made a kind of den amongst the remaining haulms.

Plastic netting has stopeed it as they don't seem to like the feel of it on their paws. It is stretched tight and also of course keeps pigeons and butterflies off things.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

wysiwyg

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 10:01 »
And if it is squirrels, then wrap the sides and top with poultry netting. They aren't tough enough to chew through that. If anything, you've probably planted on top of one of their nut stashes.

squirrels can chew through wire, thats why they have to be removed from house lofts as they will chew through electric wiring and cause fires. 

Might be worth if you think it is squirrels to use cage hanging baskets turned upside down like a cloche. peg it down hard though because if they want to get in, they will try hard! 
Mice rats, foxes and badgers are all prone to a dig, - could it maybe be a local cat?

Debz

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:57 »
I have had a couple of holes dug in my veg patch but I think the culprits are the neighbourhood cats.  I "plant" a stick in the ground with its top sticking out at regular intervals as they seem to like digging where there is a little space.  This has kept my seedlings from being dug up.  I haven't used netting this year becuase last year a stupid bird got caught in it and that bothered my OH.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 18:11 »
If it is a small hole about 2ins diameter and about the same in depth then I suspect that it is squirrels. I get them here in Cambridge. I find that they have "planted" a monkey nut in the ground and at some time when I dig the soil over I oftan find several. Oddly I find they do little damage as they seem to pick the clear bits. A friend says that they scatter pelleted chicken manure and the smell deters the squirrels. Not sure how true it is but could be worth a try.

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
From this...to this raised beds

Started by twee on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 22:29
by vegmandan
xx
raised beds

Started by NO GREEN FINGERS on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 22:05
by yummy
xx
raised beds

Started by cockneycarrot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 19:49
by jack russell

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 35 queries.