HELP with cheap plastic trays!!!!!!!!

• 12 Replies

sion01

HELP with cheap plastic trays!!!!!!!!
« on: June 01, 2011, 19:33 »
I normally prick out my seedlings into three inch pots but when I saw those flimsy green square trays at wilko's I though they'd be really handy and I could get more plants into less space.Every thing was fine until I tried to get the blasted plants out of them to plant outside.I've tried to poke the blunt end of a nail through one of the holes but as there are two holes at each corner it just seems im just pushing the rootball to one side and not out of the pot.I've had to resort to brakeing the tray as gently as I can but I feel im really disturbing the roots.
is there a trick for getting them out without so much disturbance,I tried them about ten years ago and I now remember why I vowed never to use them again and to stick to three inch pots.The life of 40 cosmo,20 oregano,20 foxglove and 25 echinacea'paradoxa' plants depend on you'r answers so no pressure.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: HELP with cheap plastic trays!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 19:49 »
I know what you mean about those trays; they seem like a good idea at the time but when it comes to getting them out....!

Have you tried using a fork?  by lifting the whole rootball with a plastic or old fork it could save the tray and would help to lift more of the rootball out with the compost

sion01

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 19:51 »
I'll sneak a fork out now while missus is in the bath.I'll let you know how I get on

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 21:53 »
I give them a bit of a squeeze all round and use a teaspoon to get in the section and scoop out.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 22:13 »
and make sure you water them first to soften up the compost.  ;)

sion01

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 20:09 »
i have tried with the fork but as I'd watered them first it was all a bit frantic with compost everywhere.i think the best plan is to let them get a bit potbound and try with the fork when the compost is quite dry then I think the fork will save the day(hopefully) and never buy the blasted things again.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 14:25 »
Water the tray then squeeze both sides of root ball.
Place figures over the plant, tip tray on its side then push the bottom of the root ball untill the plant pops out.
Some times other plants drop out but if this is done over a work top they are usually OK.
A bit more trouble than individual pots but it means you can get a lot more plants into the same area when sowing seeds.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 14:51 »
I used a fork on mine
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Flatcat

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 16:36 »
A miniture spade works for me, but they are a right pain, and I usually end up splitting the sides or piercing the bottom

Damon

sion01

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 21:23 »
I bought a tray of leek plants at a farmers market this afternoon and they were the sort of tray with smooth sides and the whole rootball came out no problem

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 17:34 »
Those cheap green plastic modules are lethal. Once you get your plants out just throw the things out!!! They are a nightmare.

I purchased last year really good quality module trays. Rock solid plastic, with one biggish hole that you can just push the plug out with a finger. So worth the six euros. about 100 modules in the tray.

They are a joy to use. I bought three more this year. They'll last a decade i reckon.
Liv.

sclarke624

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 23:58 »
You can pick up similar for free in garden centres if they have a place they keep them for you to take.  My nearest Haskins does, inside near the tills.  Some may be a bit large for your needs as some hold small pots normally, they have drainage holes.

I don't have too many probs with the cheap green trays or the wilko ones, some split but I still use them.  I have some that are four years old. I must be the exception to the rule, or remarkably patient .  I just squeeze and use a teaspoon. Haven't killed any seedlings yet. LOL

brown thumb

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 09:45 »
if their the seed trays and  not  the     modules i always put a strip of strong plastic 2" wide strips of old compost bags across length and width ways and give them a tug i find it losens the root ball/compost}{ i should have said before putting in the compost and seeding]

xx
plastic flower container with a plastic type gauze a few inches from the bottom

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2023, 18:01
by wighty
xx
Ants in the Bedding Trays !!

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 11:22
by mrs bouquet
xx
polytunnel plastic??????

Started by diddy dave on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 22:34
by peter james
xx
plastic netting???

Started by lottienewbie on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 09:22
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 38 queries.