Starting Out

• 6 Replies

Des C

Starting Out
« on: January 16, 2007, 08:53 »
Hello Everyone, I'm a total newcomer to the poultry scene and have just taken delivery of a new 4 x 3 coop with an 8 x 4 run attached. I haven't bought any birds yet as I am unsure which will do best in a restricted urban environment. I also have to be careful about noise etc until the neighbours get used to the idea. I also have young kids.

I have also had alot of conflicting advice about feeding. I want to get eggs but would prefer to keep feeding as natural as possible.

Any tips would be very welcome.
Thanks

muntjac

Starting Out
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:37 »
welcome to the shed matey des c. you wont have a noise problem if you dont keep cockerals .... get yourself a family of four welsummers or buff orpingtons .if you know any farms that have chickens go and see the owners and see what they have going cheep ,,,,,, ok ok ok  :roll: , now read the posts on this section ... search at the top for  ^^  no sentiment .. this will give you a good guide on what you need to be doing , cos i wrote it  :oops: . i am sure others wil give you tips as well . i sugggest you read all the posts on the poultry pages  as it is full of great tips and sound advice ...  :wink:
still alive /............

Des C

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:59 »
Thanks Muntjac. I was considering Welsummers or Light Sussex but others were advising me to get ISA Browns. I've read a lot about different breeds but don't fancy the idea of short -lived hybrids.  I'll keep you posted when I get sorted out.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Starting Out
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 12:02 »
Welcome Des

Muntjac always gives good sensible advice of chicken keeping as he has a couple of hundred of them an has kept poultry for YEARS  :!:

I on the otherhand only have two chooks in my back garden :roll:

I like to keep things simple so feed them on layers pellets.  It may be a little more expensive than other methods but when you are only talking 2 - 4 birds its only a couple of quid over a year.  They like to have fresh greens each day with makes their egg yolks nice and dark.  I hang bunches of greens up for them to peck at which keeps them occupied too.  If they have to stay in their run most of the day boredom can cause problems so make their environment interesting.

A dust bath is essential (I have some dry earth in a deep plastic tub (from Wilco ~£1.50).  If you can give them something to jump up onto all the better, a log or thick branch, depends how much space you have.

Good luck and have great fun  :D

Barry J Scott

• Beef to Leaf
Starting Out
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 12:24 »
Welcome Des C

I am new and will be getting my first hens on Sunday.  I was interested at first by Hybrids for the large amount of eggs but have since changed my mind to going for pure breeds where possible.  I will soon be the proud owner of 2 Orpington crosses, 1 Light Sussex cross, 1 Batnam Welsummer and 1 Bantam Maran.

I will also probably buy some pure breed Welsummers, Marans and Orpingtons later in the year.

You can see the ladies here.
Baz

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Starting Out
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 17:59 »
Lovely house Barry.  I hope the girls appreciate it  :D

Barry J Scott

• Beef to Leaf
Starting Out
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 18:30 »
Thanks Aunt Sally.  

Absolute bargain for £135 when so many small arks are over £200.  Should have been £185 but had a broken leg and was a demo model.  They fixed the leg and gave it a fresehen up, almost as new.

I cannot wait, should be picking up the ladies on Sunday, hope I can get the run built in time.

xx
just starting

Started by kev1986 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 07, 2010, 13:03
by evie2
xx
Starting over ... Thanks Mr Fox :-(

Started by gingerplant on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 09:28
by gingerplant
question
Starting Out

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 12, 2011, 11:13
by Jeanette
xx
Starting to lay less

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 09:11
by Prod

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 38 queries.