Are water baths necessary?

• 6 Replies

TheSpartacat

Are water baths necessary?
« on: August 03, 2011, 13:18 »
Hi,
I'm relatively new to making chutney and relish.
I made lots of pickled beetroot last year and kept them all in the fridge (we were going through a jar a day so it wasn't such a space problem!) but i am reaaally confused with all the information on the internet as to whether putting the filled jars in a water bath is really necessary or not- if you want to store them in a cupboard.

The American sites all swear by using pressure canners on the pickles, but the UK ones seem to omit this stage. (Canners are SO expensive!!!)

I'm using jars with screw top lids- the lids are coated on the inside with plastic.
I'm sterilising them in boiling water, and then into a hot oven to dry... and filling and closing the lid when the pickle/chutney/jam is as hot as possible.

Do i then need to put them in a water bath in order to be able to store them in the cupboard? Everything i'm making so far has a high vinegar content (or sugar, in the case of jam)

(I don't have a saucepan that is quite deep enough to water bath them and am hoping its not a necessity)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 13:19 by TheSpartacat »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Are water baths necessary?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 13:35 »
No you don't need the waterbath for pickles, chutneys or jams.

You do need to do it if you progress to bottling tomatoes and pasta sauces, though

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 17:35 »
MoS is right. As long as you have either enough sugar or enough vinegar in the jar, water bathing is adequate for pickles and such. I find only 5 minutes or so is fine, provided the contents were still hot when the jars went into the bath. It's a double check that the jars are properly sealed for longer storage. If you plan to eat them quickly, then its not needed.

As for tomatoes, dilled beans and such - they're more alkaline and need more processing, so a pressure canner is better for them to avoid any sort of bad bacteria developing over time. Some folk have cast iron stomachs and aren't bothered by waterbathed toms, but its not worth the risk to others with delicate stomachs.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 18:30 »
I'm sure Trillium is right, but I've done exactly as you describe in your post, Spartacat, and never bothered with any subsequent water bathing.  I can't remember jams or chutneys coming out the worse / not lasting.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 00:18 »
Same as Yorkie. I never bother with water bathing for jams, chutneys or pickles and do not think it is necessary. I would if making, for example, a tomato or mushroom sauce where the ingredients are low in acid contents.
Val
Recipes Galore!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:04 »
Ditto what

MoS
Trillium
Yorkie
Val H

said  :)

TheSpartacat

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:57 »
Aw great!
Thank you everyone for your replies... :-)

I've just had a delivery of 50 jars arrive this morning... now I'm gonna get seriously busy in the kitchen!!! I've got more figs and apples than I know what to do with.
Already made Chilli fig and apple chutney.
I think today's recipe will be an Orange and Fig jam with christmassy spices!!!

xx
How much water?!

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 21:38
by mumofstig
xx
Spuds going in the water.

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 15:19
by Lardman
xx
Melting cheese under water...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post November 23, 2021, 06:40
by Growster...
xx
potatoes boiling down in the water

Started by stupot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 13:15
by Marston

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 30 queries.