End of Farmyard Manure?

• 16 Replies

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
End of Farmyard Manure?
« on: August 14, 2006, 12:32 »
On Saturday the local farmer was delivering loads of farmyard manure ordered in spring, I was not on the allotment while he was delivering but my neighbour reckons that this will be the last year that the farmer can sell manure direct, this is because the government has decreed that it all has to go via a waste management service.

Has anybody else heard anything about this or is it just a wild rumour? :cry:
Paul

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
End of Farmyard Manure?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 12:45 »
Hopefully it's just a lot of s**t. :oops:

Oliver

Re: End of Farmyard Manure?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 12:46 »
Quote from: "Stevens706"
Has anybody else heard anything about this or is it just a wild rumour? :cry:
Yeesh! I hope it is just a wild rumour! 'The government' gets involved in too many things that it should keep it's nose out of .... but don't get me started, this is an allotment site after all although a nice trench would be good :evil:
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
End of Farmyard Manure?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 13:19 »
This was supposedly from the horse’s mouth, (sorry about the Pun) the farmer, I need to chase this down next time he delivers.

It’s not so bad for me as I have access to horse manure which I’ve read is believed to be of higher quality than farmyard.

noshed

End of Farmyard Manure?
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 14:17 »
May be true - we order ours from Bywaters (waste management company.)
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

milkman

End of Farmyard Manure?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 14:36 »
I'm sure if the farmer promises not to say anything and you promise not to say anything no one will be any the wiser and we can all carry on as usual!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

wellingtons

My father is a farmer ...
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 16:23 »
... and he says it has been talked about but he isn't aware that it has been decided yet.  He did waffle something about blooming Brussels and I don't think he meant sprouts.

He said he would talk to the numpties at the Min of Ag (his words, not mine) and would find out for me.  Mind you if he calls 'em numpties to their faces he might not get a civil answer!

earthgirl

End of Farmyard Manure?
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 21:12 »
On Saturday the local farmer was delivering loads of farmyard manure ordered in spring, I was not on the allotment while he was delivering but my neighbour reckons that this will be the last year that the farmer can sell manure direct, this is because the government has decreed that it all has to go via a waste management service.

Maybe this is what he was referring to?? (But it is not supposed to apply to manure, except when it is NOT used as a fertilizer.)

http://www.environmentsensitivefarming.co.uk/faq.html#Manure%20and%20slurry?

Oliver

Double negative
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 23:12 »
Quote from: "earthgirl"
But it is not supposed to apply to manure, except when it is NOT used as a fertilizer.)
Doh - don't understand the double negative!
I would have thought this did not apply to legitimate use of manure as a fertilizer on an allotment. Perhapsw it applies to those who dump such waste into rivers and other places where it can contaminate water courses etc?

earthgirl

End of Farmyard Manure?
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 00:26 »
Doh - don't understand the double negative!

The way I understand it is... the Agricultural Waste Regulations that the government is bringing in say that "agricultural waste" must now be disposed of in a certain way, following specific guidelines.

However, these rules do NOT apply to manure (which they call "livestock effluent") when it is used as a fertiliser, either spread on the same fields where it was "produced", or elsewhere.

You're right, they are trying to stop farmers from dumping excess manure into rivers, etc.

It should still be able to be used on allotments.

But I stlil don't know why the government needed the Kingdom of Spain to tell them that.

:?

Oliver

Manure
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 08:59 »
Quote from: "earthgirl"
But I stlil don't know why the government needed the Kingdom of Spain to tell them that.
Thanks for that! In the cold light of morning I reread your piece and of course I understand it. Being a cat does have its drawbacks!!

The government needed the Kingdom of Spain to tell them about manure because they don't have ears to hear what the Populace is staying it appears to need an outside source, like a bush for example

We've got a huge pile of horse waiting to be spread this winter with more to come. Its turning into a precious commodity now because several plotholders near us want some too and the horses are eating their heads off to keep up :D

jgsmuzzy

End of Farmyard Manure?
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 14:39 »
I believe that the first farmer was correct.  All manure has to be used on the farm itself, or removed by licensed contractors (i.e. the council, charging £££ to do it, just to sell it on to the constituents).

In theory, any "waste" leaving a farm (including normal rubbish) has to be documented and a certificate issued to the farmer stating that the waste is being treated in accordance with the new rules.

HOWEVER!!!

Farmers are still allowed to sell compost.  Meaning that they cannot flog raw manure to punters, but can sell rotted down manure, as long as it is well rotted and compost like!

Hope this helps
An absolute novice!

Oliver

Manure!!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 21:31 »
Quote from: "jgsmuzzy"
Farmers are still allowed to sell compost.  Meaning that they cannot flog raw manure to punters, but can sell rotted down manure, as long as it is well rotted and compost like!

She was telling him about this discussion and he said that when the farmer delivered our huge pile of horse he mentioned this! (well, being a man he keeps all this to himself - the horse was delivered about 3 months ago!!! Sigh ...)

Well, we are always told to put well rotted manure on our plots and since this takes time to rot down and space can be a premium, I suppost this is a GOOD thing. But it beggars belief sometimes what the EU gravy train bureaucrats dream up. Thanks for the info!

wellingtons

Well as always with DEFRA ...
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 14:20 »
... the department my father still refers to as the Min of Ag ... there is an weighty document or two to wade through.  But the upshot of it is, that there MAY not be a restriction on what the farmer can do with the *livestock effluent* as long as it is well rotted and stored properly (for a minimum of 12 months).

However, the farmer does have to store said manure in line with the rules and regulations and there are financial incentives to use less inorganic fertilisers.  

But it is, to quote the DEFRA people, open to interpretation.  Perhaps the farmer in this case has just decided he can't be arsed to work out the rules and regs.  He wouldn't be the first, or the last.

jgsmuzzy

End of Farmyard Manure?
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 15:37 »
Very true.  The problem seems to be the removal "certification".  so much paperwork, and if there is something farmers abhor, it's paperwork for the government!

xx
Farmyard Manure

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 07, 2019, 11:52
by JayG
xx
Farmyard Manure

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 15:43
by noshed
xx
levingtons farmyard manure

Started by lancashiregardeninggal on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 21:20
by whistler
xx
Gro Sure Farmyard Manure ... or the real stuff

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 11, 2019, 13:14
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 35 queries.