Courgette glut!

• 40 Replies

redazzy

Re: Courgette glut!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 23:03 »
I have just made this crunchy courgette pickle from the good food website. I have no idea how it will age but it tastes yummy already. Great for our courgette mountain. Although a large and a medium courgette made 2 litres of the pickle!
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/681665/crunchy-courgette-pickle

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 08:19 »
Never thought of re-using the milk containers, how stupid is that. Just off to rescue some for the C soup I made yesterday :blush:

Thanks for that Sue ::)

Sue33

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 09:29 »

Never thought of re-using the milk containers, how stupid is that. Just off to rescue some for the C soup I made yesterday :blush:

Thanks for that Sue ::)

I think i got it from here last year sometime  :D :D  might need to make some more soup, came back from lottie last night with 12 courgettes, yellows and greens, the patty pans are so pretty  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 22:49 »
I forgot to pick mine for a few days last week, went out at the weekend and found I had a couple of massive marrows. So I made up a stuffed courgette recipe and it was absolutely delish.

Cut it in half lengthways, scoop out the soft centre and put the shells upside down on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and bake for 15-20mins to soften.

While that's happening, brown some mince in oil, add chopped onion, garlic, chilli, some sun-dried toms in oil that I had in the fridge, loads a tom puree, chopped up courgette flesh and some beef stock. Simmer until it's nice and thick. You could chuck some red wine in too if you wanted, cos that would work well. Pile that lot into the courgette shells, top it with mozzarella and parmesan, and bake until the cheese has melted and turned crispy brown. From a single (very big) courgette and 1lb mince, this was easily enough to feed four people and seriously delish, I'll definitely be making this again.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 23:20 »
I made Moussaka but used courgettes instead of aubergines at the bottom....it was yummy

pottyaboutgrowing

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 18:33 »
I made Moussaka but used courgettes instead of aubergines at the bottom....it was yummy
VERY GOOD SUBSTITUTE. THANKS :D
Please make yourself at home! Clean my kitchen...    A  good balanced diet is a piece of cake! In each hand.:)

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 19:09 »
I made the courgette burgers from the recipe section tonight. They were lovely. I made them look extra healthy by putting a slice of fried summer ball pumpkin on each half of a burger bun with the cougette burgers inbetween. Look really professional - should have taken a picture but they got eaten too quickly :D
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

sloworm

• Experienced Member
Marrows !
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 13:56 »
I turned my back for 5 days and the little courgettes turned into enormous marrows  :lol: I have now made chocolate "marrow' cake, marrow chutney with Vals recipe, marrow jam and another chutney type relish  :) now where to store it all.........
What is everyone else doing with their glut ?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Marrows !
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 13:58 »
I've had one nearly-marrow, so far! It was on one of the plants in the dalek compost bin and hidden right underneath. My excuse anyway....  :tongue2:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Livinhope

Re: Marrows !
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 17:13 »
I turned my back for 5 days and the little courgettes turned into enormous marrows  :lol: I have now made chocolate "marrow' cake, marrow chutney with Vals recipe, marrow jam and another chutney type relish  :) now where to store it all.........
What is everyone else doing with their glut ?

I'm afraid I have the same problem, jams, pickles, chutneys and the freezer.   I've had to beg jars from all and sundry, the cupboards are bursting with the produce we had to buy another freezer, and I've kept friends well supplied.  Happy days.

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 18:30 »
Must admit OH and I have been thinking of buying another freezer, our big chest freezer is full to bursting. Tried e-bay but freezers seem to go for big money and as there's no guarantee, it's worth buying a new one with a known rating.

compostqueen

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 08:56 »
Freecycle is a good place to find free freezers  :)

Sue33

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 09:53 »

we had some friends over for bbq at the weekend and eveyone went home with a party bag, courgettes, runner beans + french beans  :D

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 17:56 »
So far we've made Chocolate courgette cake, plain courgette cake, Courgette crown loaf, Spicey courgette soup, Courgette Moussaka, Hot Courgette Chutney and Fried onions & courgettes   ::)  Less courgette plants next year I think :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 19:55 »
So far we've made Chocolate courgette cake, plain courgette cake, Courgette crown loaf, Spicey courgette soup, Courgette Moussaka, Hot Courgette Chutney and Fried onions & courgettes   ::)  Less courgette plants next year I think :lol:

Less plants is the answer, i have just composted 2 out of 3 plants.

The chicken refused to eat any more.
Luckily they are not tired of cucumber yet. :)

xx
What to do with courgette glut

Started by Ourveggiepatch on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 22:21
by Wombat18
thumbup
Recipe for the courgette glut!!

Started by Parsnip on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 11:45
by Parsnip
xx
Courgette glut recipes

Started by wighty on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post August 10, 2008, 14:18
by Deano27
xx
Tomato and Courgette glut soup recipe

Started by agapanthus on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 10:36
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 34 queries.